7 month old cat peeing in the bed

Miisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a soon 7 month old female cat and two older cats who are 9 and 10. The kitten gets along very well with the older one and ok with the slightly younger one. They can sleep next to each other and we have witnessed some exchanged licks. They are very playful with each other, but the older cat sometime hisses and the kitten acts pretty submissively, but not scared in my opinion: She makes her usual chirp-like noice and backs away very slightly, usually behind a cat tree etc. where she continues stalking the others looking to play, and eventually goes back to try pawing at them again.

She was spayed about a month ago and she healed very well, the incision is barely noticeable and she never really was bothered by it. However, after the surgery she has started peeing in my mother's bed.
She has never peed outside of her litter box apart from these accidents, and it's always the same corner of my mother's bed.

What we have tried:
  • We added another litter box, we now have 4. She is the only one that uses all of them, the other two only like their two old boxes in the bathroom, while our kittens favourite and the new one are in our hallway.
  • Cleaning the boxes more often. Our old cats weren't that picky, so we cleaned about once a week. We tried cleaning daily or whenever needed, and at first we thought it helped - until she peed on the bed twice today, with 2 completely clean litter boxes available to her, plus two boxes that are pretty clean, were cleaned two days ago, and that she used today with no problems.

Other conditions worth mentioning:
  • This has happened 5 or 6 times, and it's clearly getting more rapid. First there was a week inbetween, then maybe 1.5 weeks, then a couple days and now twice in the same day.
  • She likes me more than my mother. She sleeps with me in my bed and on my lap when I'm on my computer, while she never sleeps with her. Of course they interact and she does like my mom, but clearly she is more comfortable with me, so if she was feeling unsafe, wouldn't she pee in my room or my bed?
  • Nothing about our living situation has changed, apart from my mother starting a full time job. She has worked 3 days a week for months now, but started 5 days a week about a month ago. However, I'm currently studying from home, and she never pees when my mom is away, only when she is at home.
  • I don't think it's stress. She is a very curious and playful cat, and I have never seen her act scared around our other cats. The hissing has almost completely stopped, so I don't see why she would be more stressed now.
  • Since the start she has clearly associated my mothers bed with playing. She always brings her toys there, pretty much to the same spot where she pees. Sometimes she sleeps in that spot, but more rarely now. It's really difficult to tell what she's doing because she always digs around in the bed, playing with her mouses, and then one time just pees there like it's nothing.

My mom is really stressed. She wants to completely deny the cat from going to her bed, but that's difficult because she sleeps in the living room. We could swich rooms so she could have a door? I am a legal adult and I kind of feel pressure to just take my cats and move out, but at the same time I'm not sure my mental state is good for that.

Obviously the biggest option left is taking her to the vet, but we don't have a car so it will be January 2021 before we can take her. Our financial situation isn't the best and my mom already owes me money for the spay, which we were supposed to pay 50/50, so that isn't the ideal situation, but of course I'll take her if that's necessary.

I'm just kind of at a loss right now. I love her a lot, and I don't want to be this stresses out all the time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given the timing, I am guessing dynamics in the house may have changed with your mom going back to work 5 days a week. Maybe things are a bit more hectic or stressful from just that standpoint alone. Cats don't always show stress they are feeling in the same ways humans do. Analyzing the difference in your home's atmosphere before and after she started inappropriate peeing might help to find some potential solutions.

The other thing is if the first time she peed on the bed was a fluke, she could be going back to that spot because she can smell her urine which is like an invitation to go there again and again. You need to try some different types of enzymatic cleaners to see if you can make sure the urine smell is completely gone. Cats can smell much better than we can, so even if you think the odor is gone, your cat may still be able to pick on it. I have included a link below of a TCS article about removing urine smells from linens and clothing.

That is nice to offer to trade sleeping areas with your mom. If you are truly willing to do so, it might be worth discussing that with her - just to see if it would make any difference.

Another thing to consider is enticing your cat to begin playing in your bedroom instead, and then covering your mom's bed with plastic - a tarp or an aired-out plastic shower curtain (new ones right of the packaging tend to smell) when it is not in use by your mom. Most cats really don't like hanging out on plastic - but even if she still did and peed on it, it would protect the material below.

Lastly, when you can manage to do so - especially if none of the above resolve the problem - I would take her in for a vet check including a urinalysis, just to rule out a possible urinary tract infection.

How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you a thousand times. You are amazing for giving out such a detailed response. Honestly, I'm so thankful.

We will look into the smell part and wait to see if the situation calms down. If it keeps happening we will probably switch rooms and start asking for a ride.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year - and thanks, one more time. Hopefully 2021 will be good for you.