7 month kitten has started

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As usual my 7month old ragdoll kitten came to greet me as he is usually does as he is very affectionate but this morning he did something he's never done before he lay across me pureason and started suckling my ear for about 20 minutes and so when I woke up properly I was covered in cat slobber as he is quiet big. I'm not sure why he did it ?
All the information i could find on the topic related to younger kittens or ones who had always done it. He was with his mum till 14 weeks before coming to me and seems no obvious reason for him to start. Could he be feeling unwell and seeking comfort ? He seems well In himself but is it worth getting him checked out by the vet ? sorry if I seem like I'm over reacting but its out of character and recovering from ringworm he picked up from a friends cat though his hair is growing back now and seems back to normal

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
He's finding security in suckling on your ear. My cat likes to suckle on a blanket while she kneads and she's 2 years old

It's also a way he's showing you that he loves you!

Just be careful not to get any piercings you don't want with his teeth ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply I was hoping he wasn't feeling I'll or anything as he's never done it before but shouldn't really be suprised really as he tends to be a little over the top with his affection, when I first met him he had me pinned to the sofa wile he head butted and rubbed against me with a crazy loud purr and this went on for about 2 hours . he maybe just wants love today as he has insisted on lying on me all day so he's defiantly feeling clingy I think , which is nice so long as he is OK :-) was worried I might of done some thing to make him feel insecure. Ragdolls seem a lot different to a lot of cats though and I guess having dogs all my life makes cats seem very different

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that cats think of their person as a mother cat, and this is why you saw the suckling behavior.  Cats will also knead you which means they keep pushing their paws up and down against your skin.  So if your not very familiar with cats this is another behavior you can expect to see and it's also related to the suckling behavior because kittens do this to their  mother in order to get milk from her.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll continually displays new and different behavior, dropping some things, and adding new things. Eighteen months old, he has become super playful again and now has begun talking to me (the latter he may have picked up from his adopted rescue sister, but who knows).

I recently put some throw fau flannel towels on the sofa and he jumps up onto them and starts making biscuits - he has NEVER done that before. So I just have to laugh because I literally don't know what to expect him to do today.