7.5 Month Old Male Weighing 5.7lbs

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7.5 month old male kitten is very healthy, neutured, and eats a little under a 1/2 cup of Iams kitten food a day. He weighs only 5.7lbs. Does this just mean that he is a small cat and always will be? I have had him for 5.5 months. He has always been under the average. What size can I expect him to end at? And at what age will he stop growing? He is the one in my profile picture ❤.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are just on the smaller side. My first concern would be is he eating enough. Half a cup of Iams dry kitten should be about 250 calories which should be good for a kitten. If he is eating all his food everyday and meowing for more, I would give him maybe a tablespoon more a day (not a lot but that is fairly calorie dense food so a little goes a long way) and monitor him. Just to make sure it isn’t a calorie issue, I don’t think it is but doesn’t hurt to overfed kittens.

Assuming his vet checks are good, then it just becomes a “he is small” commentary. My girl is small too, her weight usually fluctuates between 7 and 7.5 pounds but at a year old she was just over 6 pounds (the extra pound is all muscle). Here she is near my boy who was 12 pounds in this photo (but is now 14 pounds, which is pushing healthy weight for him).

Adult size for you I would guess to be probably 7-9 pound range, probably 8ish. Which is on the smaller side for a male but not unheard of. He will probably finish growing in height and length around a year old and continue to add on muscle and fill out some until two years old. I’d switch him to an adult food at probably one year old just to give him the kitten nutrition profile until then but switch to adult so he doesn’t get chubby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just on the smaller side. My first concern would be is he eating enough. Half a cup of Iams dry kitten should be about 250 calories which should be good for a kitten. If he is eating all his food everyday and meowing for more, I would give him maybe a tablespoon more a day (not a lot but that is fairly calorie dense food so a little goes a long way) and monitor him. Just to make sure it isn’t a calorie issue, I don’t think it is but doesn’t hurt to overfed kittens.

Assuming his vet checks are good, then it just becomes a “he is small” commentary. My girl is small too, her weight usually fluctuates between 7 and 7.5 pounds but at a year old she was just over 6 pounds (the extra pound is all muscle). Here she is near my boy who was 12 pounds in this photo (but is now 14 pounds, which is pushing healthy weight for him).

Adult size for you I would guess to be probably 7-9 pound range, probably 8ish. Which is on the smaller side for a male but not unheard of. He will probably finish growing in height and length around a year old and continue to add on muscle and fill out some until two years old. I’d switch him to an adult food at probably one year old just to give him the kitten nutrition profile until then but switch to adult so he doesn’t get chubby.
Thank you for your response! He doesn't even want to eat the full 1/2 a cup most days. He eats close to it. I don't think he is hungery. Yes, the vet thinks he is very healthy

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always add some canned food. Healthier for them anyway. Good to get him used to it while he is young so you have more options.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet has said he's healthy I wouldn't worry. I have a healthy happy small cat he's just small they come in all sizes:thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cat "should" weigh will vary a good bit, according to the overall size of your cat. This chart may help you decide if he's actually "underweight," or just a small cat!