6month Old Retaliating After I Scold For Bad Behavior.

Kricket0913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My silly balinese mix, Dinah, is about 6 months old. She only does this with me and not my boyfriend. I just scolded her for chewing on my laptop charging cord. I scold her by a sharp "ah" or "shh!" sound. I don't hit her, i don't push her, i just try and use a verbal command. and she will stop, kind of. typically it takes a few corrections for her to get the hint. Now, my boyfriend will do it once and she immediately stops and goes on about her business. After I scold her, she backs up a little bit, only to run up and bite my hand, or swat at my with nails and then flee. like, she's sticking one to me after i yell at her! I don't understand it she does it all the time and i'm not sure of other ways to correct this behavior. I try to be as "assertive" and consistent as i can with my verbal corrections and she just looks at me like, "psh...whatever". Can anyone help with with my rebellious sassy teen? lol
27336996_10216060464850669_2815064948489350420_n.jpg

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try positive reinforcement and setting up barriers in the environment so she doesn’t do this behaviour. I don’t think scolding really works with all cats. You can purchase cable covers from hardware stores that go around your laptop cable and prevent cats from biting them. You can also try reinforcing positive behaviour. For example, when she’s around your laptop but not biting the cord give her a treat.

Honestly she may just think that you’re initiating play or challenging her when you talk to her sternly, especially if you make eye contact- cats take this as a challenge.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

I agree with Neo, rewarding good behaviour is much more productive than punishing bad.

I'd stop all noises and scolding altogether if you're just antagonising her, as continuing to do so may lead to a difficult imbedded behaviour problem. Just move the laptop charger out of her reach and come to terms with the fact that you're likely to need a replacement sooner rather than later.

She looks delightfully funny. What's her name?

:salam:

Kricket0912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those are good ideas! I will try positive reinforcement. Some times she looks at me while she’s putting her paw in my cup, or slowly knocking something off the coffee table. She’s a very silly girl, her name is Dinah(“dye-na”). I’ve never had a cat of my own or an inside one at that so I’m learning these things as we go. I’ve only ever had dogs. Lol cats are nothing like dogs haha she is definitely an independent and sassy girl but she will also give you cuddles and kisses.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you play with her often with a wand toy such as Da Bird? An exotic cat like Dinah will need lots of play to 'debounce' her energy and relieve her boredom. The whole cheekily knocking things off counters suggests she may be a wee bit bored. It's no slight on you, it's just that exotic cats need a lot of attention.

:bunnydance:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat loves Da Bird, I have lots of small toys as well. Anything he play cat soccer with works well on his own or with a human.

Kricket0912

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve never heard of Da Bird ? I’ll have to look that one up. She may be a little bored. We do our best to keep her active and using her brain lol I’ve been watching these cat training videos on Instagram and Dinah almost knows how to give a high five! I think extra play time won’t hurt, she’s a very active kitty.
I’m going to research this Da bird asap
:yess:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Rewards during and after playtime. Treats, definitely, but wait until she's calmed before petting (you don't want her thinking hands are toys). You want to reinforce what IS a toy, and get her to ignore what is not.