6mo old kitten and going away for major surgery

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys I have a question one of my 6-month-old kittens is very very attached to me every morning he's on my chest purring and trying to groom my hair giving me kisses and everything else this is my baby. The issue is one month from now I have to go in for brain surgery it's Chairi malformation decompression they're going to be removing part of the skull the spinal column and opening the spinal cord to sew in a patch. I'm going to be in the hospital at least 6 days and possibly going to inpatient rehab for an undetermined amount of time depending on how I do. And after that I'm going to my aunt's for the first three weeks of my recovery so that there's someone always with me during that time. My worry is Sven he is extremely attached to me when not beating up his brothers he is on my lap he's on my lap most of the time as I'm not working currently due to the medical condition. I'm just not sure how he's going to handle the time when I'm not here. what can I do to comfort him when I'm not around? Most of my other cats are really independent but Sven is very very attached to the point where I think he likes me better than his bio mom. So any advice about what to do when I go for surgery would be helpful.
IMG_2023-05-11-08-43-01-762.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what, he will be fine....we all worry about leaving our cats, and somehow they manage. Of course he will miss you, but what a homecoming you will have! Concentrate on getting well.
Leave some of your worn clothing around in places he likes to lay, your scent will comfort him. He is old enough, he will remember you, remember cats rely heavily on scent, so he may shy away from you until your scent returns to what he remembers and not the hospital. Is someone stopping in to check on them? If you are going to be gone for that long you would have to have someone stop in. That would help. There are all kinds of household cameras now too that you could use to check on them and even talk to them. Some are really inexpensive.
May God bless you and heal you, I pray you return home soon!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose somebody IS taking care about your cats, aside of you? And thus, when you are in the hospital, they will have continued good care?

Im not entirely sure Sven is "just" loving you. Its fully possible he is trying to heal you... Or at least, tries to ease your pains.
some cats do have such abilities...

My first resident, Muskis, did helped me with my rheuma hurting left knee... His descendants lay on me too, but arent as effective. But its nice anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would it be possible for Sven to join you once you get to your aunt’s house? If not, he will be fine, as stated, and may also grow attached to your mom. Some cats just really bond with their “person” more than other cats.

I wish you all the best with your surgery and recuperation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for Sven to join you once you get to your aunt’s house? If not, he will be fine, as stated, and may also grow attached to your mom. Some cats just really bond with their “person” more than other cats.

I wish you all the best with your surgery and recuperation!

No unfortunately not she has a labradoodle who plays with her adult feral colony but she doesn't trust her around kittens and is really not into house cats she's already agreed to let me bring my dog but said no to any of my cats eldest is 9 y/o and was a bottle baby from age of one week Sven is the youngest well he and his brothers who are having issues finding a new home we planned to only keep Sven and Kristoff but the other three haven't found homes yet so currently I have 9 cats and thus he won't be alone I just worry because he is so attached to me.