6mnth Kitten Stopped Drinking But Still Eating

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have 6 cats, 1 mumma and her 5 babies that are 6 months old. They've all been spayed over the last few months. Almost 2 weeks ago 3 were spayed at the same time. One of which didn't react so well to the anaesthetic and was apparently active whilst on the operating table. We live in the middle of nowhere in Saudi Arabia so not a lot could be done about it at the time. Anyway she came round super quick but took a while to start eating and drinking again after but around 24hrs after surgery all was fine . Then about a week later I noticed her ears were quite cold and she had diarrhoea. I also noticed she had stopped drinking water by herself again. So I started to give her water with a dropper and took her temp, slightly low so that night i kept her warm with a hot water bottle and blankets and slowly by the following evening she was keeping herself just about warm enough. It's been a week now and she still isn't drinking water, doesn't seem dehydrated with the pinch of skin test, is eating and playing normally, diarrhoea isn't so bad and is still eating normally. I give them home made wet food of boiled chicken breast, carrot and zucchini blended up with some water. She looks at the various water bowls I have scattered through the house. Puts her paw in them occasionally but I haven't seen her drink once except earlier today when I tried her on some tuna water. She loved That! I don't know why she is doing this, she uses to drink out of my glass or mug if I put it down for a minute, I've tried leaving glasses of water for her but she doesn't drink them either. I have a vet coming to see her on Friday but I don't hold out much hope. The vets here aren't like the ones in the western world... any advice or if anyone else has experienced this I would love to hear from you. The other 5 cats all seem to be drinking and eating fine too. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the home-blended food that you are giving them, she may actually be getting enough water just from that. Our domestic cats are descended from small desert wildcats that get 90% or more of their water from their prey, and drink almost nothing. Try adding just a touch more water to her food, and you should be fine. The best indicator of this is that she is active, playful, and that the pinch test shows her skin rebounding well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give them home made wet food of boiled chicken breast, carrot and zucchini blended up with some water.

The homemade food may be giving her enough liquid. However, your "recipe" is not a nutritious diet for a cat. It's lacking essential vitamins and minerals. Veggies are not needed in a cat's diet because they are indigestible. Commercial cat food include them as cheap fillers. Take a look here for proper balanced recipies with ingredients you may be able to find in your contry: Cooked Recipes Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The homemade food may be giving her enough liquid. However, your "recipe" is not a nutritious diet for a cat. It's lacking essential vitamins and minerals. Veggies are not needed in a cat's diet because they are indigestible. Commercial cat food include them as cheap fillers. Take a look here for proper balanced recipies with ingredients you may be able to find in your contry: Cooked Recipes Thread
Thanks. I meant to add that I also give them canagan chicken flavour biscuits every day. I used to feed them canned wet food and pouches but the ones I can readily get out here aren't good for them and one of the kittens can't stomach them at all.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also she will drink flavoured water as in the broth from when I boil the chicken or water from a can of tuna. But has stopped drinking plain water. All of the other cats drink it fine though

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other kittens are now having loose stools,not watery as such but not well formed and smell strong and are light brown in colour. The only vet j can get to see them out here says he will try his best to come on Friday and to just give them kaptin. I'm so frustrated and wish we were in a civilised country where the vets would run a blood and decal panel.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mention to him the possibility of giardia or coccidia, just to see what he says. I'm not saying I think it is that, but since he is coming, it doesn't hurt to ask...

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mention to him the possibility of giardia or coccidia, just to see what he says. I'm not saying I think it is that, but since he is coming, it doesn't hurt to ask...
He has given us scopinal for use. Is it safe for use in kittens does any one know?

Thank you

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well to update you all she is now eating and drinking normally. She is fussy over which bowl I use. Will only drink out of glass or ceramic bowls! Thank you everyone for your advice xx

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20180114_135846.jpg
here she is in the middle with her sister (darker kitten) and mummy (red collar) and another sister (white and orange) playing on my bed