6mn Old Kitten New Vet

Jinx2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I worked in the pet food industry for awhile so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the many pros and cons. My dogs eat cooked meat because of food allergies. I give me kitten a few very tiny pieces (Kitten is 6 mins old) as a treat to its wet kitten food. This new vet told me not to feed the kitten this boiled cooked beef because cats don’t have the enzyme needed to break it down & it could hurt his kidneys. Cats are carnivores so this really confused me. He elderly and I am wondering if he was confused. Any feedback?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Was he thinking specifically of kittens, being that kittens don't have fully developed digestive systems?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jinx2018 and welcome to the forum !

When you said
"boiled cooked beef"
did you mean corned beef?

If it's corned meat, I wouldn't be giving it to any cat, regardless of age.

If it's fresh boiled beef, there would be no problem giving the kitten small amounts infrequently.

If you ever decide to use home cooked foods for your kitten>cat, make sure to add the supplements that cats require, most especially taurine (without which cats will develop heart disease and lose vision). You'll find out all about home cooking for cats in the Nutrition forum where there is a sub-forum for "Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food".

About this Vet......that was a very odd piece of advice indeed. If I were you, and if it were possible, I would look around for a cat-only Veterinarian. Cats are very different from dogs and, when things become complicated in cats, we find that most general-practice Vets just don't measure up. And, while age often translates to experience.....that experience should also include staying 'on top' of developments in one's 'trade' ;)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well red meat in general is not really natural for a cat to eat. You won't see any ferals hunting pigs and cows right? So some cats have sensitivities to it. The natural prey animals are birds, mice and rabbit and they are all white meats.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This new vet told me not to feed the kitten this boiled cooked beef because cats don’t have the enzyme needed to break it down & it could hurt his kidneys.
The vet thinks all the canned foods on the market that contain beef are damaging to the kidneys?? Well, I've never heard anything remotely like that and I can't tell you how many studies and papers on cat nutrition from credible sources I've read over the years. On the surface at least it sounds pretty ridiculous. I'd ask what evidence there is to support that claim.