6 year old male indoor/outdoor losing weight

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Just looking for suggestions to figure out what’s wrong with our kitty Jacks. He is an indoor/outdoor kitten, so I need to bring him to the vet, but where is inexpensive and open on a Saturday? We have a 15 month old son, so our schedule is tight to keep a roof over our heads. We noticed last night he’s lost some weight and is acting shyer than usual. Worms? Any suggestions? He let me pet him and came for food last night. He has rabies and HIV trifecta shots. We live in SW Florida. Any ideas for inexpensive vet care orhome remedies before going to vet?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weight loss is too vague and can be indicative many illnesses. Unfortunately, you should take him to the vet as soon as you are able.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took a sweet little guy in that did well in adjusting to the indoor life. One day he just beef came hyperthyroid out of nowhere. The weight loss was fast, while he always seemed hungry. He took 5mo to get sorted out with medication & had went downfrom 12lbs to 6 in a few short months. It's one of many possibilities. Sadly if they don't know, the vets will want to runa full panel on them to check all major organs and such. Up here in VA just a CBC panel of chem costs 240-299.:( But if it is something serious, it won't just go away. And with him being a part-time outside cat, that just leads to more questions for the vet to try to figure out. There's so much they can get into it there

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Just looking for suggestions to figure out what’s wrong with our kitty Jacks. He is an indoor/outdoor kitten, so I need to bring him to the vet, but where is inexpensive and open on a Saturday? We have a 15 month old son, so our schedule is tight to keep a roof over our heads. We noticed last night he’s lost some weight and is acting shyer than usual. Worms? Any suggestions? He let me pet him and came for food last night. He has rabies and HIV trifecta shots. We live in SW Florida. Any ideas for inexpensive vet care orhome remedies before going to vet?
Until you find out what's wrong keep him inside. Vets where I live are open sat 7 am to 1.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight loss is too vague and can be indicative many illnesses. Unfortunately, you should take him to the vet as soon as you are able.
I know, I feel bad, we found a vet that is open until 8 pm and will bring him tomorrow night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took a sweet little guy in that did well in adjusting to the indoor life. One day he just beef came hyperthyroid out of nowhere. The weight loss was fast, while he always seemed hungry. He took 5mo to get sorted out with medication & had went downfrom 12lbs to 6 in a few short months. It's one of many possibilities. Sadly if they don't know, the vets will want to runa full panel on them to check all major organs and such. Up here in VA just a CBC panel of chem costs 240-299.:( But if it is something serious, it won't just go away. And with him being a part-time outside cat, that just leads to more questions for the vet to try to figure out. There's so much they can get into it there

How did they figure out hyperthyroid? Lots of testing? Hope he’s doing ok

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet will run tests to check for elevated thyroid levels. There are foods with high cal and moisture for him. I give one of my cats canned orijen. Expensive but only temporary til he sees the vet

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did they figure out hyperthyroid? Lots of testing? Hope he’s doing ok
They'd run all the other panels and that's what turned up. For thyroid, it's a specific test. Cats rarely ever get hypothyroidism, it's the other direction. So they're burning up more than they can possibly take in. I was feeding him twice what any other cat in the family was eating. But he would still lose weight.
There's some type of radiation therapy that's supposed to 'cure' them of this, but at $2,400 and no absolute promise, I couldn't afford it. So we just treat it with pills. Which are tasteless and just feet sprinkled over his food twice a day.
Here's ok now. Back top to 9 w whole pounds and that seems to be it for weight gain. But he's doing well now. Thanks ;)