6-year-old cat with slightly elevated GGT

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6-year-old male cat, Puppy, did a pre-op blood work before dental today, and came back with a slightly elevated GGT (5 U/L, normal between 0 - 4). Ultrasound also showed that the gallbladder wall is slightly thick but everything else (except GGT) in the blood work is within the normal range.

Vet suspected it might be a diet issue. She mentioned that sometimes a high protein diet might be the cause. For context, I've been feeding Puppy a full wet food diet called Zealandia. The protein rotates between brush tail, venison and wallaby. This is the first time I've heard of a high-protein diet giving problems to the gallbladder.

For the time being, Puppy is given a 2-week course of Ursopet Oral Suspension, and is scheduled for another round of blood test and ultrasound in 2 weeks time to see if the medication works.

Does anyone have a similar experience to share? And what I should look out for.
Thanks so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I searched this site (you probably did too) and found nothing that was specifying any case with GGT being the only elevated element. I also have never heard of it being protein related. The only things I found are these two articles, which you probably found yourself, but just in case you didn't.
Why Are My Dog And Cat’s Blood GGT Levels High Or Low? – Ron Hines' Vetspace – 2nd Chance – The Animal Health Website
8096-us-ggt-interpretive-summary.pdf (idexx.com)

Regardless of whether or not protein can impact the gallbladder, your vet's course of action seems to be a reasonable one - obviously starting with the second round of blood tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I searched this site (you probably did too) and found nothing that was specifying any case with GGT being the only elevated element. I also have never heard of it being protein related. The only things I found are these two articles, which you probably found yourself, but just in case you didn't.
Why Are My Dog And Cat’s Blood GGT Levels High Or Low? – Ron Hines' Vetspace – 2nd Chance – The Animal Health Website
8096-us-ggt-interpretive-summary.pdf (idexx.com)

Regardless of whether or not protein can impact the gallbladder, your vet's course of action seems to be a reasonable one - obviously starting with the second round of blood tests.
Most definitely will follow-up with the vet in two weeks time. Thanks!