6 year old cat labored breathing

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My poor Midnight. He has always had breathing issues, even when he was a kitten you could hear when he entered a room because you could hear him breathing. For the past 2 years he has been dealing with reverse sneezing. We took him to the vet and they said he could have asthma, but that they believe he either has an underdeveloped or missing part in his throat. That he was born this way. We moved into a new house last week, and he has been under way more stress because we live close to a train track, we’ve had people in to look at our plumbing, and we’ve had more visitors since we live closer to our hometown now. Midnight has never threw up a hairball his whole life. We’ve told the vets this and they don’t really understand. Yesterday around 7 pm, he threw up his first hair ball EVER!!!!! He had been acting a little strange all day, coughing earlier, but then when he threw up that hairball I was so confused! It wasn’t like a regular hairball either, it was a very small lump of hair probably only 20 strands and was in yellow liquid. Shortly after that I noticed he was breathing a little different, but thought that it may just be his breathing issues acting up- especially since the air quality has been awful!!

This morning I noticed he was breathing more labored. I only got 3 hours sleep last night, dealing with severe plumbing issues, and had the plumbers here all day. I did not think to call the vet until they were already closed at 5 pm. My husband works in the morning and does not have any time off. I have to stay here with our daughter who is 18 months. No one else can take him to the vet. I’m very worried because it seems like he may be in respiratory distress. He is breathing give or take 50 breaths per minute. He has not tried to eat since this morning. He is wanting to lay under the couch constantly. We got him out and he did stay with us a little, was rolling over getting pets, and scratching the furniture like he usually does. He went right back under there though in 10 minutes. His gums are pinkish red. He has a black nose so I can’t tell what could the inside would be, but his nostrils are flaring a little. He is not purring and he usually purrs as soon as we touch him. I know this is a dire situation, especially since it’s been a full day now of him breathing like this, and we’re getting him into the vet first thing in the morning, but I am so worried for him. The nearest emergency vet is almost 2 hours away. I know this could be a multitude of things, but I’m most worried about fluid in the lungs and fluid around his heart. There’s absolutely nothing we can do right now until the morning and I’m just scared. I think all the changes, the loud train, the thunderstorms, and the air quality has all contributed to this. He’s always been anxious with things like that, and he will hide under the couch everytime he gets afraid. He never lays under there though if it’s not afraid, so him laying under there now when he’s usually with us is just proof he does not feel good at all.

This was long and I’m sorry, but I have nothing to do but sit here and worry about my kitty. My husband and I got him just 1 month into our relationship so he’s been here with us through it all. Our daughter loves him. He is 100% part of the family, I love him so so so much. I think I’m most worried about the possibility that he could get worse overnight while we’re asleep and we wake up to something terrible in the morning. I feel very helpless and like an idiot since I didn’t call the vet earlier. I wish I had thought to call. I’m just exhausted. Does anyone have any similar stories? Any tips on how to help him? Should I just let him stay under the couch? This is really hard and I wish I could take him to the vet right now so we could figure out what’s wrong. I’ve said it a million times but I am really worried. This is so scary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg he actually came into the room with us!!! Finally he’s out from the couch.

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Dude had breathing problems at perhaps 4 years old. At times he got up to 75 breaths per minute. He looked to have asthma but the vet couldn't see it on x-ray & would not prescribe anything. I switched vets who agreed to treat it as asthma. After a steroid shot he went on an inhaler & has been using that for the past 13 years.

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on video-recordings, the resting (n=32) and sleeping (n=38) respiratory rates of the same cats were determined: median 27 (range 16-60)breaths/min and median 20 (range 9-28)breaths/min,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Dude had breathing problems at perhaps 4 years old. At times he got up to 75 breaths per minute. He looked to have asthma but the vet couldn't see it on x-ray & would not prescribe anything. I switched vets who agreed to treat it as asthma. After a steroid shot he went on an inhaler & has been using that for the past 13 years.
At the vet tomorrow I’ll ask them if he can get an inhaler if they find nothing wrong. He was born like this, has always struggled, but has never struggled like this

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At the vet tomorrow I’ll ask them if he can get an inhaler if they find nothing wrong. He was born like this, has always struggled, but has never struggled like this
I hope the appointment goes well! Please let us know what the vet say. ❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't yet taken midnight to the vet I think it would be good to try to get a recording of his breathing while he is home... I only say this because most cats are already uncomfortable going to the vet so it could be elevated just from the visit itself.. also the video will show the vet if it has subsided before his visit..
Even if his breathing is better before you go any time in the future if he becomes this distressed if you can record it I think it would be good to show your vet in the future
Please keep us updated.
I hope midnight is feeling better today!!!