6 Weeks Old Kitten Has Bloody Runny Stool

HellieHD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there. :)
We took in our kitty Freyja when she was about 4 and a half weeks old, now she's 6 and a half or so. First few days she was fed a mixture of kitty milk, dry food (not exactly age appropriate) and wet food. She had solid poops, perfectly normal. Then she started suckling and therefore couldn't really eat anything but the wet food and milk, but we laid off the milk when she seemed like having diarrhea. The diarrhea went on for a few days, gradually increasing the daily poop count from 2-3 to 10. We took her to the vet at this point (she was dewormed a few days before) and were told to feed her milk replacement and slowly some dry food, and we did just that. Now she has really runny feces. First question is about this: does milk replacement make her poop super runny?
Next is: is it normal for a kitten to have some fresh red blood in her poop after she was fed a new dry food (now age appropriate, premium food for little kitties and mommy)?
Right now she poops 2-3 times a day, but it's liquid and whenever she eats dry food there's a little blood. Will this stop if she gets used to the dry food or should we consult our vet again?
Every answer is appreciated! Thanks! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HellieHD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little addition: she's very playful all the time, has a lot of energy. Since we started feeding her the replacement she keeps her weight and is now 550 grams or so, she went from 500 to 470 when she had diarrhea. Belly size is normal, no abnormal changes or sudden skinny->fat changes. Has a water bowl too, pees normally I guess, not really the concern, just mentioning if someone would ask.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H HellieHD

I don't know why this has not been answered. Sorry about that.

The blood is from irritation in her bowel from all the diarrhea.

It sounds to me like she may need a round of Albon to clear up possible bacterial infection.

In the meantime, which brand formula are you using? Powdered or pre-mixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HellieHD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H HellieHD

I don't know why this has not been answered. Sorry about that.

The blood is from irritation in her bowel from all the diarrhea.

It sounds to me like she may need a round of Albon to clear up possible bacterial infection.

In the meantime, which brand formula are you using? Powdered or pre-mixed?
Hey, thanks for the reply! :)
Powdered, but now she's eating dry food and there's no more suckling either. Her poops are now solid and dark, no diarrhea or anything, we're very happy she's fine now. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear she is better now. What a relief, I'm sure! :)