6 Months Post Unblocking/pemphigus

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was unblocked in September and it's coming up to 6 months. I'm in mega panic mode because I know this is when it could happen again. He's been on Royal Canin Urinary since the unblocking.

He hasn't been eating as much as usual. Side note, he just finished a bout of steroids as he has pemphigus foliaceus as well. He finished the steroids about 2 weeks ago. The eating has decreased since then. Yes he is still peeing, at least once a day and it's a fairly big spot.

Anyway, am I freaking out for nothing or should I at least take him in for a check up? I do palate his bladder (at least I think I'm doing it right) every so often and it still feels normal.

Sorry for the length but also, I've done some research but can't find anything. Can PF affect breathing? I just notice his mouth is open frequently.

Nervous cat mom over here

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I just notice his mouth is open frequently.
He's breathing through his mouth? - this would effect his eating because cats need to be able to smell their food. Can you talk more with your vet about this and have them figure out what's going on?

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a firm believer that it's never wrong to take the cat to the vet for a check-up, if only to calm your own nerves. It's better to bring a healthy cat to the vet, than to not bring a sick one. So in your case, I would definitely make a call to at least discuss a check-up.

As for pemphigus affecting breathing, I highly doubt that. My cat also has pemphigus foliaceus, and her dermatologist has never mentioned that difficulties breathing would be a side effect.

The decrease of appetite might be related to your cat getting off the steroids, because I'm guessing that it is some sort of cortisone he's been given? Cortisone is known for increasing the cat's appetite.

However, I really think you should contact your vet about your worries, especially concerning the open mouth. It's better you make one call too many, than one too few.

Good luck, and please keep us updated! :vibes::heartshape: