6 Month update on cat with hyperthyroidism

Chit Chat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody! I just wanted to update anybody who is interested about our experience with this disease. Cookie was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid six months ago. I opted for the methimazole transdermal treatment. At the 3-month mark, her T4 number came down from the 'high' range to the 'high normal' range. Now at 6 months, her T4 number is in the 'low normal' range. She is back to her original weight of 11 lbs. (She lost about 6 ounces before being diagnosed.) I was putting the meds on her ear twice a day, but now, per the Vet's advice, I am doing this once a day. She will go back in another 3 months to make sure her numbers aren't too low or too high. (She gets more checkups than I do!!) Her blood pressure and vitals all look good. Again, I'm not here to tell people what treatment to do, but to let others know how it's going for my cat and to offer encouragement. I'm sure this will be a balancing act for Cookie for the rest of her life but having a Vet who is competent and willing to help us navigate this is a tremendous help. I left her original Vet because he didn't seem interested in helping us. In our case, considering Cookie's temperament, traveling a long distance to do the radioactive iodine treatment is not a good option. I am pleased with her progress with the methimazole, and she definitely feels better than she did 6 months ago!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting the good news. Fiona herself was on felimazole oral for several years, administered in food at that, and did well. You were very proactive for Cookie!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like you caught this pretty quickly! Feeby lost a lot more weight before being diagnosed - in part due to the pandemic as I wouldn't take her to the vet without being able to be with her.

As I am sure you already know to now keep an eye on her kidney values. Although Cookie is relatively 'new' to the senior world, CKD is often unmasked with correcting H-T levels. So, make sure they do a full scale blood panel when you have her T-4 checked again. We are maintaining a 3.4 T-4 (high normal) right now with Feeby just to keep her kidney levels in a stable place. It is not necessarily an ideal arrangement, but then Feeby is nearly 7 years older than Cookie. So, you may not have kidney issues for a long time, if ever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chit Chat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does sound like you caught this pretty quickly! Feeby lost a lot more weight before being diagnosed - in part due to the pandemic as I wouldn't take her to the vet without being able to be with her.

As I am sure you already know to now keep an eye on her kidney values. Although Cookie is relatively 'new' to the senior world, CKD is often unmasked with correcting H-T levels. So, make sure they do a full scale blood panel when you have her T-4 checked again. We are maintaining a 3.4 T-4 (high normal) right now with Feeby just to keep her kidney levels in a stable place. It is not necessarily an ideal arrangement, but then Feeby is nearly 7 years older than Cookie. So, you may not have kidney issues for a long time, if ever!
Thanks for the information! The Vet seems to be making sure to check everything. I hope that Feeby continues to do well.