6 Month Old Wheezing

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a normal morning, took the kitten for a walk in the hallway, same old thing...kept him from eating something he shouldn’t, watching him scramble down the hallway…but when I got back, he flopped on the ground and was wheezing. He looked like he was having trouble breathing. I was dumbfounded, no idea what that was. 10 seconds later and he was back to being an overly hyper kitten. My first impression was that this was an asthma attack, or he breathed something in (dust, who knows). This was a few days ago, and nothing has happened again (to my knowledge). Is this anything I should be worried about? Just making sure ma little furball is all good.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is your kitten due for a vet visit? What you're describing is the sort of thing that may be nothing but a tired cat... or may be an early sign of something more serious. It's also possible that this was a one-off, just something in the environment -- dusty kitty litter or pollen or something else that he inhaled from the floor? -- that was bothering him. No matter what, the fact that you write "He looked like he was having trouble breathing" would concern me enough to check in with the vet. So does the fact that this happened three days ago but you're still thinking about it. That's always a sign for me!

Here's a page from AeroKat about panting that outlines some of the possibilities:

Fingers crossed that this is an easy one to solve.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me, that sounds like an asthma attack, but could be other things. The vet will likely want to take an xray at least.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, that sounds like an asthma attack, but could be other things. The vet will likely want to take an xray at least.
Exactly. And lung ailments are especially tricky because they're so hard to diagnose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t have any upcoming vet visits, and he was running a lot, so from this I assume he was just tired.