6 month old siamese

Kath N

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten scratches and bites and can frighten people by leaping on them. She is delightfully friendly most of the time and incredibly active!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaping on each other and biting is the way that kittens play with each other. Absent a cat playmate your cat is turning to humans for the same kind of play. Of course you want discourage this so the first thing to do is to make sure that your kitten gets LOTS of active play with you. Sessions a couple times a day of chasing a
laser Light or want toy until she is totally worn out will get rid of some of that kitten energy.

But if she does look like she is ready to pounce on you you may be able to divert her to something appropriate by dropping a large stuffed toy for her to bite and wrestle with. You can also give her a big loud hiss to let her know you don’t want to be attacked.

As far as scratching, this isn’t usually on purpose. Kittens have tiny dagger claws and they aren’t good at knowing how to keep them retracted. Best advise is to learn how to safely trim her claws and to do it regularly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am a firm believer in the hiss. Been using it with Hekitty for 13 years now, and it never fails to stop her in her tracks. And yes, I started using it when she was a "bitey" kitten. They come in this world knowing what a hiss means. If distraction doesn't work (always try that first), then by all means, HISS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kath N

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice!! So far the hiss works really well!! She was so shocked!!! And I've already trimmed her claws after watching a vet on u tube! And yes she needs more play.....I'll do my best!!!