6 Month Old Peeing On Dog Beds

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my 6 month old cat Logan is peeing on the dog beds, this started about a month ago, I had him checked at the Vet and he had one tiny crystal, so we switched his food and I put the dog beds outside for the time. Had him rechecked two weeks later and his test came back normal. At that time he had stopped peeing on the beds so I brought them back in, I kept him and my other kitten on the special food.now he is peeing on the dog beds again, not everyday but enough that it’s an issue. Now normally I would just get rid of the dog beds, my vet said she had cats that did that and she just had to get rid of all dog beds. Now my problem with that is one of my dogs is 12 years old with really bad arthritis on his spine/back, so he needs a dog bed. Any ideas on what I can do? The beds are large so it’s difficult to keep constantly cleaning them. One of the beds is waterproof which is good cause the stuffing won’t get soiled but cleaning the big cover isn’t something I can do all the time. Any ideas? Also anyone else have a cat that does this? Seems to be behavior related. ( he is neutered) thanks!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food is he eating? Canned food seems to help my boy cat when he has urinary problems.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had issue but it was my bed! I made sure my cat had 2 LB's with soft litter and that they were in safe places. Use an enzyme odor destroying spray on dog beds. Or dry clean or get em washed or get new ones. Make sure kitties box has no plastic liner n no top. Fixing mines LB helped and I've put a plastic tablecloth over my bed covers. He hasn't done it again. Don't use bleach. Enzyme odor remover for pet urine is a must. He gets wet food so I also add tuna water to his water or buy Cat Sip to help him hydrate or even add water to his wet. It's shocking, I know but he's trying to communicate with ya. Make sure his LB is perfect. I had plastic liner which is not good n I had added this "extra" litter that was like pebbles...then the wee wee prob started.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I removed the comforter from my bed, too. It was old but very useful but kitty seemed to find the elevated, soft comforter too easy to pee on...he's new to being indoors so easily gets insecure as he might've been dumped. He's not fixed-yet. Making my bed less attractive helped but he still has his pillow up here so he's not kicked off bed. I have no other pets so don't know about doggie issues but I'd buy new dog beds or soak in enzyme odor destroying soak or make dog beds less attractive with some tin foil if possible but fixing my guys LB was key

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, also, the cat had seen me moving things around and heard me have argument with parent and I had messed with his LB so he was insecure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
He is eating Urinary S/O dry and Osopure wet ( he won’t eat any other wet food) I clean the litter box everyday but I’ll make sure there is extra littler in there for him now on. Luckily I keep my bedroom door closed so he has not peed on my bed, just the dog beds.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like 3-4" of soft. I goofed and added this rocky stuff for added oomph -mistake. I think he's got sep. anxiety, too. I think his box needs to be 2" longer, too. I've never heard of that wet. Mine is very piggy cuz he's not fixed (doing it asap). He doesn't like the wet by natural balance. A good liquid for them is raw goat milk. U can add sum water to wet, too or get Cat Sip milk for cats. Sounds like he's markin territory although it's not his lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had issues with my girl peeing on the dog beds too (usually when she's very stressed out. We also suspect she has FIC). I've binned two or three dog beds as a result, which is frustrating given how much decent (labrador-sized) dog beds cost these days :frown:

I'd start by thoroughly cleaning and washing the peed-on dog beds - be sure to use an enymatic cleaner as directed to remove all traces of the urine. If they can't be adequately cleaned (as was the case with my lab's memory foam beds), your best bet is to get new ones. The idea is to have a clean start moving forward.

To protect the now-clean beds, I set them up with lots of puppy pee pads. I put the bed down, cover with a layer of pee pads, put down a blanket or a piece of vetbed (or similar) then add another layer of pee pads over the top. This means that future accident cleanups are easy, and (hopefully) ensures that anything that does get peed on will go in the washing machine and will be easier to treat and dry. Sure, it's not the prettiest thing to look at, but it works :)

In time, once you're sure Logan is healed and consisently using his boxes again, you can take the pee pads away. I always keep a pack on hand though (and they're great for lining cat carriers for vet visits ;) ).
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I remember doing that with a cat with no bladder control, MUCH easier cleanup. If the beds are too large to be covered properly, or if the movement of the dogs causes them to get dislodged, get baby bed mattress protectors, or crib protectors in the baby dept., and just wrap them around the beds. Gte two for each bed, then they will always be protected, at least you could wash them with bleach.