6 month old kitten panics when I leave the room

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A 6 month old kitten I recently domesticated panics whenever I leave the room. Up until a month or so ago, this kitten could be considered semi feral but since then has changed and is extremely attached to me. He now cleans me and sleeps on me. Whenever I leave the room though, he panics and acts like he wants out the window. I don't want to let him out again though. There have been a lot a of very aggressive, dangerous dogs around here lately, as well as more coyotes. I'm not sure what to do. He's been in and out the last few days, but after seeing those dangerous dogs recently, which almost attacked me, I don't want him out anymore. There's also the issue of introducing him to my 6 year old adult cat, Lee Lee. Lee Lee is also very skittish around everyone but me. Lee Lee used to have a friend, a cat around the same age that grew up with him, but that other cat disappeared and presumably died two years ago

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had you tried with Feliway diffuser adapter? Not very cheap but may be worth to try... If you use it more than one capsule, try to find some cheaper source to buy from. Perhaps from Ebay or Amazon?

Relaxing music may too be worth a try... classical harp music they say is the best, but almost all calm, relaxing music may work.

And of course, continue with trying to get the cats accustomed to each other. IF they become good pals, it will be the solution. None of them will be alone...

Ps. Wise of you not to let the cats out, as it seems to be a dangerous surroundings. I myself live in a calm village, no loose dogs here in Sweden. Yet almost every neighbour with cats allowing to go out, did lost at least one cat to the railway going through the village... Even such cats whom run home immediately they heard the train coming, did got crushed...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

CatFiles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you could also try leaving clothes that smell like you too, or a blanket or pillow. One of my boys loves to pull out bras from the washbasket and sleep on them, and it seems to help him relax