6-month-old kitten ONLY 2.6 lbs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh we've had one of the best mornings yet! Stool is becoming more solid and a better color, he was sprinting around, flopping around, playing, and climbing/scratching his posts! Such amazing progress! His meowing has gone from a screech to a friendly hello. Everything is getting better! Now just to see what the results come back with!

You all have been SUCH amazing help and support!

I will be posting test results shortly after the weekend we assume (andhope)!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom thinks probiotics are some kind of miracle. Any problem anyone has, she recommend probiotics. . .my dad teases her about it all the time ("slammed your hand in the door? Take some probiotics!" Etc.). And,well, I guess she's right about them, at least most of the time! :tongue2:

Glad to hear he's doing better.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom thinks probiotics are some kind of miracle. Any problem anyone has, she recommend probiotics. . .my dad teases her about it all the time ("slammed your hand in the door? Take some probiotics!" Etc.). And,well, I guess she's right about them, at least most of the time! :tongue2:

:flail: :flail: :flail: Oh that's hysterical, I love it! :lol3: (Though I will say, after all the research I did on probiotics as re: including them in the diet for our kitties, DH and I never go without them now either. :lol3: ).

But let's not forget - kitty's on clindamycin. :nod: All we really know is that the probiotics are probably helping prevent diarrhea from the antibiotic. :lol3:

But WAY TO GO CHARLIE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Dakota, couldn't ask for better news than that! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Keep it up, Charlie! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :D

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - When I adopted Cubby, he had serious diarrhea when he moved here. Feeding him organic canned food or kibble would not help it. It was feeding him raw meats that got rid of D after a week or two. He could be reacting to things in the food like rice, corn, soy, that cats do not digest well.

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my 2 cats raw meats only. They poop a lot less than cats that eat kibble and canned foods, and the poop has little to no odor because they digest meats super good. It seemed to me at the time to be the best diet for Cubby with his D, and I was right, it worked but it took a week or two to really get him over it.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EB24 - Hahaha definitely not!  That is too funny!  We'll see how Charlie turns out, the nickname may be jinxed at this point, he already likes to be in there while we shower!  NEVER thought I would be so happy to be discussing nor viewing solid poop!  
  I grew up with cats, but never had to be involved in their health or nutrition, Halo (our blind Siamese mix) was my alarm clock and I fed her and Bailey (our Burmese who just recently went blind 
) in the mornings.  They both live with my mother out in Colorado though.  I miss em!  When I picked Charlie up I was attached instantly, he was so adorable and sat in my lap the whole way home (we didn't have a travel carrier yet) and I carried him into our apartment (which doesn't allow pets...  we're moving in the Summer for Charlie 
) wrapped up in what is now his favorite blankie! 
Just trying to lighten the mood a little! 

I am so, so happy to hear Charlie is doing so well today! He may have ups and downs while all of this sorts out but every day he can get without horrible diarrhea is that many more nutrients he can absorb and that much more time for his rear to heal! 

There are many Coloradans on this site (including your truly). So, your Mom, Halo, and Bailey are in good company! 
My mom thinks probiotics are some kind of miracle. Any problem anyone has, she recommend probiotics. . .my dad teases her about it all the time ("slammed your hand in the door? Take some probiotics!" Etc.). And,well, I guess she's right about them, at least most of the time!

Seriously this is too funny! It makes me think of that movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." C'mon Willowy, elbow hurts? Put some Windex on it! 

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all again!  SOME of the results are in and I've done a brief skim of what the problems are and they do add up to his symptoms.  So here they go:

1) He has a Clostridial Infection

- The probiotic Laurie had suggested, if I recall correctly, helps maintain and balance the intestinal flora of the GI tract, which explains why he's appeared to be feeling better!  Way to go Laurie, and thanks for that tip!!!

2) He's a carrier of the Feline Coronavirus

- They told us about the wet/dry types of FIP, but the Coronavirus is NOT FIP, if I recall correctly again.  WHAT do we do to maintain this/help this?

3) He has Low B12

- I'll be DEMANDING vitamin B12 shots now!!

Folate was normal, and we're still waiting on part of the results to come back.  So any words of advice thus far will be a huge help...  I didn't research the Coronavirus (will be today) extensively since we were hoping to be steered away from these results.  BUT it's not FIP which means our kitty still has a great chance for a beautiful life, which we'll be working towards right away!

EB - AWESOME!!!  I cannot wait to move out there.  My mom is over in Boulder so I want to finish my schooling at Boulder CU! 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all cats have been exposed to coronavirus. Don't let the vets scare you with it; it's perfectly normal and means nothing (really, be careful! A lot of vets have told new cat owners to euthanize whan a cat tested positive for corona, and those that don't euthanize live in fear of FIP. This is indefensible of the vets). It's not fully known what can cause the virus to mutate into FIP. But poor diet, stress, and other health problems can lower the immune system so a healthy lifestyle should be maintained, but that's true for anyone.

What do they recommend for the Clostridial infection?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The clostridium, from my understanding, is basically just a sign of bacterial overgrowth. The clindamycin he's already on may help cut it back, but more than anything proper nutrition, strengthening his immune system, and probiotics should resolve the situation. It's one of those strains of bacteria that is present most everywhere - 80% of dogs have it, and it isn't a problem UNLESS there's too much of it. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/clostridium_perfringens.html

And Willowy's right - that he tested positive for coronavirus means aboslutely nothing. You, most likely, will test positive for corona virus. Most animals and people will. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus Seriously, the corona virus is NOTHING to worry about!

Give your boy good nutrition, keep up the probiotic, get him the B12 shots, and wait for the results of the EPI test, because that's really the only next potentially concerning thing, IMO (though very treatable!). Of course... given his stools are firming up, I suspect that's not a part of his problem. :cross:

I'm starting to feel really bad. Because from the beginning, IMO, the main suspects were either giardia, coccidia, T. Feotus or just a bacterial overgrowth... and you spent all this money on so many tests. :sigh: I was concerned from the start that the vet was pushing too many tests. :( When we rescue, we test for FIV, FeLV, do bloodwork and a fecal, treat for the traditional parasites (fleas, ticks, round worm, tape worm), wait for the fecal results, and then proceed from there. It was Charlie's diarrhea with undigested food that got us (well, at least me) so concerned. But he'd also just started the antibiotic, which may have amplified the diarrhea just rushing through him. :( ...And it's also hard to recommend that someone question their vet, and even harder to recommend you not pursue the course of action a vet suggests.

But the good news is, you'll know for sure, so there won't be any guessing. That's the "money can buy peace of mind" way to look at it. :)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just finished reading this entire very long thread, and I am so thrilled that Charlie is starting to feel better

At the moment, my only suggestion would be that when it comes time to buy more probiotics, rather than buying the Pet probiotics, just get the human kind, with the 10 billion strains versus 1 billion, (the ones Laurie recommended (I think it was Laurie) are really cost effective, and maybe add those digestive enzymes so he gets all the nutrients possible from his food, and possibly  convert him over to raw once he's back up to par. 

You guys are so wonderful for hanging in there with your little guy
.  (Seeping diarrhea is not the easiest thing to live with
, so if that isn't true love, I don't know what is
)

Last edited:

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well thank whoever needs to be thanked for you folks!  The vet DID provide some concern with the Corona Virus, though when I called for myself (Kelly received the call first) they did explain that the Coronavirus was NOT FIP, and that it wasn't too much to worry about.  Though I wish they would have been better at consoling in that scenario, but perhaps for liability reasons, they must provide concern because it IS a possibility presented.

DO NOT feel bad at all!!!  Despite the fact that we started off worried, it is a FACT that his symptoms were off the walls.  We all had a reason to be worrying and concerned for Charlie's health!  I would've rather spent the money that we did then to continue going through the stress of being so concerned for our baby all day, every day.  This news has provided some peace of mind for us!  We couldn't be more pleased!

Okay so we will:

1) Keep up with the probiotic (grab the human acidophilus this time!)

2) Get the B12 shots

3) Continue with the Clindamycin (vet suggested this as well)

Of course, we're still waiting and praying for the best news from the EPI results.  If he tests positive for the EPI then we'll invest in the enzymes (they're rather expensive to start up).  We'll definitely try the raw diet once we get up to par with Charlie.  We just feel most safe continuing with what we're doing, since the results are positive thus far.

Mrsgreenjeans, thanks for chiming in!  We're so so close to understanding the roots to Charlie's problems, and hopefully very soon we'll have them ALL on a positive track and Charlie onto living a happy wonderful life!  And it IS true love 
Charlie is our everything!

michalann65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When both my babies presented with Corona Virus they explained that it was not FIP, but it is a forerunner of it.  We treated with Interferon and then Prednisone.  I don't know how your vet feels about it but if the diahrrhea continues you might try a little piece of Immodium.    It would eventually stop the diahrrhea.  I also did boiled chicken and rice when it got bad, but the Immodium seemed to do the most.  And if that is what it is  if they are like mine they will probably have diahrrhea off and on for some time.  Mine did.   

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When both my babies presented with Corona Virus they explained that it was not FIP, but it is a forerunner of it.  We treated with Interferon and then Prednisone.  I don't know how your vet feels about it but if the diahrrhea continues you might try a little piece of Immodium.    It would eventually stop the diahrrhea.  I also did boiled chicken and rice when it got bad, but the Immodium seemed to do the most.  And if that is what it is  if they are like mine they will probably have diahrrhea off and on for some time.  Mine did.  
Yes, FIP is a mutation of the corona virus. They do not yet understand what causes the mutation. Interferon in combination with steroids has been used to try to treat it. But it's not something that prevents it. http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm As the article says, "Before embarking on any of the following therapies, it is essential to ensure that the diagnosis is correct, immunosuppressive drugs could markedly worsen other conditions (such as bacterial peritonitis or pleurisy)."

The cause of diarrhea in Charlie appears to be bacterial overgrowth, though results of the fecal, blood work, and other tests done may indicate other factors. The OP has gone to great lengths to have proper testing done to determine the cause of Charlie's GI issues. :rub: :heart2: They're just waiting for some of the results. :)

As to the immodium, it's always better to treat the condition rather than mask it, IMO. And just for anyone stumbling on this thread, immodium, even though available OTC, is not a safe drug to use on any cat, let a lone a kitten, without supervision of a vet. Immodium's active ingredient is loperamide, which is a synthetic opiate that works by slowing the movement of the intestine, which can cause other problems. Cats tend to be very sensitive to opiates, and even the "recommended dose" for a cat can result in an OD or pancreatitis (which can be life threatening). Some OTCndrugs are safe to use on cats, others aren't. This one isn't. I would always recommend a probiotic and some safe source of fiber (pumpkin or slippery elm, which has additional anti-inflammatory and soothing properties http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/ ) pending proper vet attention and diagnostics over a potentially dangerous option for a kitty with diarrhea. :dk:

Last edited:

michalann65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your info on the Immodium.  We used it under the care of our vet and when I say sliver, we mean sliver.  And we were doing other things.  But it became so explosive and he was losing so much fluid that we did it only as an emergency response to slow it up and it did help.  But you are right, someone just happening into the web site might get the wrong idea and give an entire pill or something.  And they were diagnosed by a lab (sorry I cannot remember the name of it) with the Corona Virus but I do appreciate what you are saying.  The picture I posted of the white kitty is him today so we have been very fortunate  to keep him healthy.  I do still worry though, that one day something will turn bad from the virus.  In closing I might add one more comment and that is the people who had them up for adoption said nothing about the diahrrhea....although they knew it.  When I picked them up the 16 year old daughter happened to mention the fact that they had had it since they were born and they were both about 6 months old at the time.  I remembered thinking that it was probably the food and the fact that they used a lot of different kinds of food having to use what was donated.  Of course I am not sorry that they are in our lives but I should have been more aware at the time and asked more questions.  

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, so sorry!  It's been forever it seems since I last posted.  School started the other week and we're in the middle of a sale at work so I've just been SO busy with everything going on!  But, I'd like to update you all on Charlie, since you've so kindly asked. 

For one, we are STILL waiting on test results from the vet!!  I have plans to call tomorrow to see what's going on.

Second, Charlie's energy and activity levels have sky-rocketed!  They're out the roof!  He's always playing with his balls and toys, now attacking my feet when I get out of the shower in the morning (which those front claws HURT!!)  Kelly and I have BOTH agreed that he appears to be gaining weight and an acute amount of size (of course he's still TINY).  We're continuing on with the Probiotic and the pills I had mentioned before.  His poop still has it's shape, but it's a roller coaster battle as to how solid or runny it is.  No more runs, maybe once every few days he'll run one drip (not typical anymore though).  I did notice that every so often he has a discharge coming from his eyes (one eye at a time) and it looks like it stains his fur near his eyes for a few hours.

We have tried a few times to ween Charlie away from having to be shut up in the bathroom, specifically at night when we've lied down for bed, but every time we attempt so it's like he forgets he has his litter box and poops in some corner!  The other night we tried and I could hear him meowing (in my sleep) and I woke up to the sound of him pooping.  Well he was pooping right next to my bed, and while he finished he looked right at me!  It was like it was out of spite that I didn't wake up when he wanted me to!

Hope all of you have been well!  I'll try to update every couple of days until the vet gets back with us on those results!!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do remember that your kitty is only a baby. If the only litter box is in the bathroom, its very likely that he'll forget. You'll need more boxes if you want to let him have the run of the house.
Cats also dont have the emotion of spite.
:nod:

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We live in a rather small apartment. Could he still forget? He seems to use it every time if we're up and awake? And perhaps not spite, but cats, according to observation, display vengefulness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but vengeance is one of the very basic emotions, and is one that modern scientists believe is instinctive to animal behavior.
Just some food for thought, eh? ;)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh... I'd have to disagree. Scratching you because you won't wake up? Maybe. Pooping because you won't wake up? I don't think so.
There's no way he could even know pooping would upset you. No other kind of animal cares about where another poops. They don't understand keeping floors clean. And.. even if say you had consistently scolded him every time he pooped, he still wouldn't do it in front of you, but instead only when you are not around.