6-month-old kitten chewing on cardboard, metal

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've been lurking these forums for quite a while, but I'm starting to get concerned about the kitten I rescued two weeks ago. I thought maybe she was just shy/more independent as although she absolutely loves playtime, she likes to be pet and cuddled on her own terms. She also prefers the top of her cat tree to the rest of the apartment, which is fine. If you pet her while she's up there, she'll purr up a storm and lean into your hands, etc. I figure, since she's six months old and the people who rehomed her never spayed her, she's probably starting to get hormonal, too. She does have an appointment to be spayed in a few weeks (that's the earliest I could get her in).

Here's what's happening that worries me:

- She seems to be an extremely picky eater, which I've never dealt with before. She won't eat any wet food that I've tried, including the baby food that gets mentioned on here sometimes, or Fancy Feast Classics, or cans of tuna/tuna water -- I feel like I've tried about ten brands/two or three flavors from each, and she's just not interested. She tries to cover it all up, and won't go back. She tries to cover dry food as well, although eventually she'll go back and nibble on that for a bit, but her appetite isn't anywhere near as large as other kittens I've had.

- I wasn't there to take her home, my roommate was, so she completely skipped the 'stay in the bathroom/bedroom for a day or two until you're really comfortable' phase of introducing her to the house. We also have different views (which I was unaware of before this) on how cats should be introduced to one another and their new spaces, etc, and she let my cat roam free while she kept her older cat locked up in her room, so I feel like there wasn't much of an adjustment period for either cat? There's no issue w/fighting, mostly because she keeps her cat locked up in her bedroom suite for most of the day, so Dinah doesn't have to deal with her, except for smell. The first couple of days she'd curl up on the end of my bed to take naps during sunlight hours but at night she slept out on her cat tree, but now she seems reluctant to be in my bedroom at all, except to pass through on her way to the water or litter box.

- Lately, she's been trying to gnaw on napkins, the grate on her cat-carrier, and especially pizza boxes. But she still won't eat? And I thought she might be teething, but don't most cats have all their adult teeth by the time they hit 6 months? I could totally be wrong about that.

I guess I'm mostly worried because I don't have much to go on here, re: what's happening, or how she was living in the other house, before they decided to rehome her. I know it's been a very short time-span as far as adjustment goes, is she just having anxiety about her new surroundings/being a weird, hormonal teenager? Or is something else going on, and should I get her to a vet?

This is her, by the way, little ball of fluff:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello @thricenine...your cat is gorgeous, especially how relaxed she looks at the top of her tree. Not sure if her name is Dinah, or it's the name of your roommate's cat??

-I would take her to the vet, but only because I'd ask to have her teeth checked, and to make sure that her health is good.  If she hasn't had a check-up and kitten vaccs, then it's a good idea to get this done.

I think you are right about the teething, and that the age is around 5 months, but she could be just one of those cats that like to chew, and gnaw.

You might have to get creative and get some 'chew toys' which I found are mostly for dogs/puppies, but I would distract my previous cat whenever he would chew on wires or wooden furniture. Chewing cardboard doesn't seem so bad, unless it's being eaten.

(I'm not great in the 'nutrition' advice-area, because I am still learning myself, and feed my young 7 month kittens Performatrin kitten food (a canadian brand...they hate the canned variety, but will eat the dry...but I'm not too keen on it having corn.) So I switched them to Wellness canned food, which they really like, and rotate with Friskies pates/Wellness can. The Wellness core dry food is pricey, but they seem to like it.  I'm still going to try and rotate different brands and flavours, and see what works.)

-Have you tried to add some warm water to the wet canned food, or using 'toppers' like some members do, which are anything from 'bonito flakes' to crumbled dry food, or crumbled treats. 

You're right, 2 weeks is a short time span, and she's still exploring and establishing her routines.

As far as cat introductions, the reason that 'slow introductions' are advised, is for both cats to get super comfortable and not have any 'fight/flight...aggressive, fear...issues' down the road. It actually takes weeks or months, not really days...but... I think it also depends upon the cats involved. So your roommate's style of doing things might be very fast, but sometimes knowing how her older cat is with other cats, helps to make a plan, and it's just a difference of opinion, and experiences.

Again, before you introduce your cat to the older cat, it would be better to have a vet check her out. (that way you'd be sure that the new cat is healthy, too.)  Also, I know that trying out so many brands of food is frustrating and costly, but sometimes, having a vet give the all clear, and then getting different suggestions, even from people in the waiting room, helps. Good Luck.