6 month old cat with aggression

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a recently adopted 6 month old female kitten I adopted from a local shelter as a companion for my 11 month old kitten with separation anxiety. Both are female and not only do they dislike each other, the new cat constantly bites, growls, and hisses me, my boyfriend, and the other cat. She doesn't seem to want to give or receive any affection and she can't even play without being aggressive. She bites and scratches me even when I am not doing anything to provoke her (ie sitting still or sleeping).

She was spayed about a week ago and I visited her three times at the shelter and she acted very differently there. I just don't know what to do. I am not the type of person to just get rid of animals on a whim but I am very concerned that she is not going to fit in with my other cat and any future children I may have. What's worse, I have no affection for this cat. I actively dislike her and it breaks my heart! Please help!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I introduced them very gradually and the older cat has no problem with her/ignores her. I don't think she is stressed as she doesn't hide under the bed or flatten her ears/lash her tail at me. She just doesn't like to be touched or demonstrate affection.. I don't know.

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is fixed. I've had her for almost two weeks.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just give her time and let her to come to you and learns to trusts you instead going to her. give her treats if she doesn't bite or attack you

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've left her alone for the better part of a week. My place isn't that big so I can't just give her a lot of space. She also wants to be up on my bed and in my room so I'm not sure how to keep her away from me without ignoring her completely or locking her out of my room which seems counterproductive

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know her history?, i am trying to do something else too so i am distracted 

Last edited:

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She came in as part of a litter of four at the age of five months. The shelter had all four marked as "feral/stray." I personally think they were dumped, since 5 months old would be way too old to socialize if they were truly feral. Other than that I have no idea.. She has been tested for everything and came back negative, has had all vaccines and is spayed. She just isn't friendly... I don't want them to coexist but to bond with each other. I think I may have got her too old? Can 6 month old cats still be sociolized or bond with people or other cats?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 months is pretty old for socializing so don't expect  her to become friendly with everyone but she might warm up to you eventually. but other people not so much.

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh that's what I was worried about :/ I needed her most to help alleviate my cat's severe separation anxiety. My mother had a cat with the same problem and got it a kitten to play with and now it's happy as can be. Maybe I should rehome her while she's still young... She'd probably be a good only cat. I just don't want to give up on her. I've never gotten rid of an animal before and I don't want to.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i could be wrong though 

she might be able to bond with your cat. try  playing with both of them. but it sounds like she haven't a lot of socializing with her own kind.

Last edited:

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna give her until the end of the month and talk to the vet about it too. If she's not better by then I'll find a new home for her. She's a beautiful cat and I won't take her to the shelter again.. But I'm sure there would be interest in her within my circles.

Any other input welcome too!