6 Month Old cat black vomit Please Help!

lcNcheeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just watched my poor cat throw up black vomit. It looked like there was chunks of stuff in it. I attached a picture (sorry if squeamish). LC(6mo) is an indoor/outdoor cat. I let him go outside with my almost 2 year old cat Cheeto during the day time to run around. I make them stay in while it’s dark. I know LC has tapeworms and roundworms, I ordered medicine for him 3 days ago and it should be getting here soon. I’ve never seen any cat vomit like this. It’s 3am right now so no vet is open. Should I take him in the morning? It will use all my savings I have to take him but it’s worth it if his life is in danger. If anyone knows what is vomit is then please let me know and also if I need to take him to the vet. Thank you
B5F092E4-BAA8-4DF2-BC1A-D78F643B67C4.jpeg
B5F092E4-BAA8-4DF2-BC1A-D78F643B67C4.jpeg

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There seems to be a lot of hair there. Is his own fur black? Or your 2 year old cat's? Or is there a toy/carpet with black fur he might have gotten into?

Either way I would get a hairball remedy like malt paste tomorrow. Brush their hair every day especially now --worms probably not allow things passing down as normally as they would--, and use malt paste.

How is he doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lcNcheeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There seems to be a lot of hair there. Is his own fur black? Or your 2 year old cat's? Or is there a toy/carpet with black fur he might have gotten into?

Either way I would get a hairball remedy like malt paste tomorrow. Brush their hair every day especially now --worms probably not allow things passing down as normally as they would--, and use malt paste.

How is he doing now?
He seems fine, he is eating right now. I thought it looked like fur too but both my cats are short haired gingers& I don't have black carpet in my house. Very strange :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hair, he most likely caught and ate something outside. Cats often swallow much of their prey whole and throw up the 'unwanted' parts. I've seen intestinal parts, feathers and bird feet mixed in too with my cats.......

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's hair. Who's hair? DUnno. But that's hair. I'd feed him a teaspoon or so of egg yolk with a bit of water. Also, stop feeding dry. Feed wet.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it might be a prey or something with black fur in the house. It could be human hair too maybe, if like you left a pile of hair from a hairbrush after cleaning it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lcNcheeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the replies! I was very worried because when you google “black cat vomit” it basically says they’re dying from internal bleeding. It makes a lot of sense if that’s hair from a mouse, he catches mice inside & outside all the time, the other day I actually saw him eating the mouse he caught. Thanks again!!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the replies! I was very worried because when you google “black cat vomit” it basically says they’re dying from internal bleeding. It makes a lot of sense if that’s hair from a mouse, he catches mice inside & outside all the time, the other day I actually saw him eating the mouse he caught. Thanks again!!
Yep, that's what it was then. It's better to not go off of color as much as it is to - I know it's gross - but use a fork to see the contents of the puke to see if it's food in there; hair, etc. Then the color ties it together to come to a conclusion. Say, brown with chicken in it, normal. Transparent-ish with hair, normal. Bright red with uhh .. Teeth in it, not normal!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeaaah this looks like a hair ball, fur ball, mouse ball.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a big difference between black vomit and black hair or fiber in vomit. Is he a black cat? Does he have something black that he's been grooming?