6 Mo old Kitten peeing in floor

Laura Ryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Katniss on 9/11. She had a few accidents so I took her to the vet. No UTI everything good. Thought i was adjustment to new home. She last peed outside box on 9/17. She was spayed 10/7. Yesterday she started peeing in the floor again. Took her to vet. He thinks it's behavioral. Why would she go a whole month with no accidents if it's behavioral? No other cats in home, 2 litterboxes. Nothing has changed. Could she still have post surgery paid a week later. 9.0% of the time she uses the box. I clean it every time she uses it and reward her with a treat. I am so discouraged.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that's brought you here.

Not really sure why Katniss (love the name, btw) would have started peeing on the floor again. Normally we'd suggest a vet checkup, or adding a 2nd litter box, but you've done both.

Is she peeing in the same place, every time? Or random spots?

Do make sure you clean any areas where she pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure you remove the urine scent.

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
https://thecatsite.com/c/how-to-remove-cat-urine-odor-from-your-home

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is Katniss? It’s only been a little over a week since her spay, so the inappropriate urination could have to do with the stress of the surgery, and perhaps some mild pain from her incision. How many accidents is she having a day? I think you are saying she is using her box 90% of the time, which is great news! Does she have a favorite spot to urinate outside of her box? If so, you could try getting a third box and putting it there, or perhaps deterring her from urinating in that spot by putting something else there-her toys, cat scratcher, cat nip, her food. Accidents are SO discouraging, but I bet that some simple solutions and maybe a week more of healing will get Katniss back on track. Keep us posted, please!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura Ryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is Katniss? It’s only been a little over a week since her spay, so the inappropriate urination could have to do with the stress of the surgery, and perhaps some mild pain from her incision. How many accidents is she having a day? I think you are saying she is using her box 90% of the time, which is great news! Does she have a favorite spot to urinate outside of her box? If so, you could try getting a third box and putting it there, or perhaps deterring her from urinating in that spot by putting something else there-her toys, cat scratcher, cat nip, her food. Accidents are SO discouraging, but I bet that some simple solutions and maybe a week more of healing will get Katniss back on track. Keep us posted, please!!
Thank you!! She is six months old. I am cleaning the areas with enzymatic cleaner but this morning she hopped in the bathtub, squatted and peed. I firmly told her no and took her into the litterbox. I read that you are not supposed to scold them but I didn't know that at the time. I also read you aren't supposed to squirt them with a water bottle but that is how I discipline her from jumping on the counter. I am learning a lot! I had two 17yr old senior cats that passed this year so I thought I knew all about cats. Not so much... as I am finding out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Condolences on the losses of your senior cats. :alright: We have a Crossing the Bridge forum if you'd like to post a memorial tribute to them. RIP sweet kitties. :angel::angel:

As for Katniss's litter box avoidance issue, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Also:
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles

And, yes, it's not recommended to spray cats with a water bottle to discipline them.
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – TheCatSite Articles

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! She is six months old. I am cleaning the areas with enzymatic cleaner but this morning she hopped in the bathtub, squatted and peed. I firmly told her no and took her into the litterbox. I read that you are not supposed to scold them but I didn't know that at the time. I also read you aren't supposed to squirt them with a water bottle but that is how I discipline her from jumping on the counter. I am learning a lot! I had two 17yr old senior cats that passed this year so I thought I knew all about cats. Not so much... as I am finding out.
Ugh, yeah. My inappropriate urinator really challenged me and what I thought I knew about cats.

Let us know what changes you make and how it is going. If you want to come up with a more specific plan, let us know! I have so much experience with this issue :-/

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are very picky some extremely. Many don't like scented litter and it's not good for them anyway so ALWAYS buy unscented! Some litter hurts their paws. Many don't like covered litter boxes. It's akin to us using a portapotty! This is because a Cats sense of smell is far greater than ours. Even if we think the litterbox doesn't stink, they smell what don't. So some cats are so picky they won't use the litter box even if there is only one turd in it! Also even though you scoop daily, but since plastic absorbs bacteria and smell, you need to dump the litter and scrub the box with dawn dish soap and/or white vinegar every 10-14 days if there's one cat. Rinse thoroughly and replace the box once a year. Don't use bleach.

Also, once they've peed somewhere, they can still smell it even if you can't. You must use a pet urine cleaner with enzymes. Thoroughly. Like drench the spot with it, let it sit 20 minutes or so then soak up with a towel. Then you can make your own cat deterrent. I had feral kittens I rescued and they would not use the litter box for nothing. I switched to unscented World's Best Cat Litter, (it really is the best!) Used the enzyme cleaner then made the diy cat deterrent and within a few days the kittens were using the litter box! Woot!

DIY Cat Deterrent
You Need:
*Empty Spray Bottle
*Organic Rosemary Essential oil (one of very few essential oils safe for cats)
*White Vinegar
*Water

Fill spray bottle 3/4 full with water
add white vinegar until bottle is nearly full, add 20-30 drops of the rosemary oil then spray wherever kitty has gone potty.

I Hope this helps you or anyone!

Laura Ryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ugh, yeah. My inappropriate urinator really challenged me and what I thought I knew about cats.

Let us know what changes you make and how it is going. If you want to come up with a more specific plan, let us know! I have so much experience with this issue :-/
Thank you@sunny578 I read your blog. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to yell "no" at her. I have been rewarding her good litter box behavior with treats for a while now. I also have been squirting her with the water bottle when she jumps on the counter. Had no idea this was a not ideal. What do you recommend for when she does that. How can I train her not to jump on my table and counters? Also, I have ordered Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter and will thoroughly clean her litterbox before I put it in. I have ordered a black light and enzymatic cleaner so we can make sure we are getting the old pee up. She peed in my tub for no reason yesterday morning and I know there is no previous cat smell in there. I love her so much. I have poured all of my emotions into her from losing my two senior kitties this year. My male diabetic cat Kenzo peed all the in the floor before he passed because he was sick, but my female cat Zoey never peed in the floor. 17 years and she never once did this. I am just blown away by why this is happening with Katniss. I am so frustrated and I feel defeated. I appreciate all of your help and answers.

Laura Ryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are very picky some extremely. Many don't like scented litter and it's not good for them anyway so ALWAYS buy unscented! Some litter hurts their paws. Many don't like covered litter boxes. It's akin to us using a portapotty! This is because a Cats sense of smell is far greater than ours. Even if we think the litterbox doesn't stink, they smell what don't. So some cats are so picky they won't use the litter box even if there is only one turd in it! Also even though you scoop daily, but since plastic absorbs bacteria and smell, you need to dump the litter and scrub the box with dawn dish soap and/or white vinegar every 10-14 days if there's one cat. Rinse thoroughly and replace the box once a year. Don't use bleach.

Also, once they've peed somewhere, they can still smell it even if you can't. You must use a pet urine cleaner with enzymes. Thoroughly. Like drench the spot with it, let it sit 20 minutes or so then soak up with a towel. Then you can make your own cat deterrent. I had feral kittens I rescued and they would not use the litter box for nothing. I switched to unscented World's Best Cat Litter, (it really is the best!) Used the enzyme cleaner then made the diy cat deterrent and within a few days the kittens were using the litter box! Woot!

DIY Cat Deterrent
You Need:
*Empty Spray Bottle
*Organic Rosemary Essential oil (one of very few essential oils safe for cats)
*White Vinegar
*Water

Fill spray bottle 3/4 full with water
add white vinegar until bottle is nearly full, add 20-30 drops of the rosemary oil then spray wherever kitty has gone potty.

I Hope this helps you or anyone!
Thank you I plan to clean the litter box thoroughly and add Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter that I purchased.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you@sunny578 I read your blog. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to yell "no" at her. I have been rewarding her good litter box behavior with treats for a while now. I also have been squirting her with the water bottle when she jumps on the counter. Had no idea this was a not ideal. What do you recommend for when she does that. How can I train her not to jump on my table and counters? Also, I have ordered Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter and will thoroughly clean her litterbox before I put it in. I have ordered a black light and enzymatic cleaner so we can make sure we are getting the old pee up. She peed in my tub for no reason yesterday morning and I know there is no previous cat smell in there. I love her so much. I have poured all of my emotions into her from losing my two senior kitties this year. My male diabetic cat Kenzo peed all the in the floor before he passed because he was sick, but my female cat Zoey never peed in the floor. 17 years and she never once did this. I am just blown away by why this is happening with Katniss. I am so frustrated and I feel defeated. I appreciate all of your help and answers.
I know, huh. I tried being firm with my cat during her year of illegal urination, and she was like "ahhh, what?" And then she'd just run away and urinate some more. It's funny now, but OMG was it frustrating then.

Could you fit a cat tree or some cat shelves by the kitchen/eating area? It's super natural for cats to want to jump up to high spaces, so it would probably be easiest and make everyone the happiest if you could accommodate that need. There are some cool ikea hacks for this kind of thing if you don't like the way a traditional cat tree looks in that space.

If you set up some high up spaces in the kitchen/eating area, I would recommend temporarily putting a lot of random stuff on the counters/tables to encourage her to choose the new cat gear over the counters. You could really play with her on the new cat tree etc, put some cat nip there, leave treats up there for her to find.

It must have been so hard to lose two cats in one year:( My older cat died of kidney failure, and in the last week of her life she literally dragged herself off her death bed to use the box while young, healthy Tiny would urinate on my shoulder while I was sitting on the couch. I think some cats just aren't as committed to their litter box as other cats. I feel like what people tell you is that cats are clean animals and if healthy and not too stressed out they will always choose to use their litter box, and I have found that that's just not always the case:-/