6 Mo Kitten Eating Less

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old and 8 mo old kittens. They graze on dry food through the day and get at least 1/2 can of wet 2x a day, sometimes 3 (depending on schedule). Since around November, I've noticed that the youngest does not finish his portion (and if promptly cleaned up by the eldest). So he's probably eating 1/4 if that 2x a day and the other is getting 3/4. He was recently neutered a few days ago, and despite looking little he's grown to a whopping 8 lbs (he was 5 lbs at the last visit). There's been no change in his eating habits, other than eating a whole can all to himself when he came home because he had to fast before surgery. He's still active and playful, although maybe a bit more mellow.

Is it normal for a cat to eat less as they grow? His slightly older brother has not slowed down at all. He still acts interested in food and loves to see what I have, but is not impressed with what is offered. I've tried different textures and a few varieties- it seems that the higher the quality the less he likes it, so I've settled on Friskies pate' as that had the best reaction, but he doesn't seem as interested in that either. His favorite was the salmon kind but that seems to bore him as well. The *only* thing that I can think of that changed was Thanksgiving, as I gave him a few shreds of cooked turkey meat, which he LOVED. I have an inkling that he may be wanting me to start cooking for him (which would be inconvenient as I know nothing of feeding cats "raw" or whatever aaannnndd I'm not a great cook).

Any thoughts on what I should do, if at all? Do I cave in and start cooking chicken breasts for him?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just be aware that iaf you start cooking chicken breasts for him, that is NOT nutritionally complete for a cat, so it should only be about 15% of his total daily intake. Cats, and particularly growing kittens, need liver and calcium to make it nutritionally complete.

We have a forum on raw and homecooked meals here: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food in case you really want to get into this. OR you can buy 100% nutritionally raw food. It's all listed in threads in that link I provided. One of mine eats raw, the other does sometimes but is kind of on again, off again with it. OH, and mine are like yours, they like variety (even the raw eater), and the higher priced the food, the less they like it, which is great for my pocketbook! As long as the food isn't full of carbs, you're still ok. Even some grocery store brands, as long as they are the pate version, are ok (think Sheba)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats comes back to the kitchen 15 min later. You could try feeding him again. She eats half her meal then comes back for the other half. The cats eating habits have changed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links, I'll look into it. I don't really feel like going 100% raw, as I don't even cook for myself like I should, but I feel like I need to get something nutritional in him. Giving 1/4 a can each at a time works better, but he doesn't even really finish that. He will eat, try to bury his food, and then come over to me in the kitchen to see what I'm making for myself and/or give me the "puppy" eyes. It's like he wants to eat but just doesn't care for the menu. I also feel like the older kitten (who is way less picky) is going to get fat cleaning up after his brother. Neither of them are a year yet but one is definitely more svelte than the other.

I did boil a little strip of chicken breast last night, about the size of my palm, and split it between the two. He did not finish his pate dinner, but was REALLY happy to have the chicken- purring and growling at his brother to keep away. The other was a bit unsure about it but did eat it.