6 days old kitten stopped nursing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bonbonche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, there is a condition that is generally referred to as "fading kitten syndrome". There is not just one single cause for this sad problem, though. There can be a number of reasons... an internal defect, a metabolic condition, prematurity, infection, parasites... a whole host of things. Sometimes, we never find out the reason. Sometimes, it's a problem with prenatal development, sometimes it's an inability to get nutrients from feeding... anything. Are you able to get the mom and babies to a vet for a check-up and possibly some tiny kitten doses of antibiotics, and have the mom checked for intestinal parasites? Since they're all in close contact, if Mom has any parasites, the kittens could pick them up from her. To check for this, you may not even have to take them all in (though it's a good idea). You can take a sample of her poop to the vet for them to test, and if anything comes up, they can prescribe something safe for her to treat that, and perhaps something safe for the kittens, too. It's worth checking out, just to be on the safe side, anyway. But really, getting a vet's help would be the best thing now. You're working hard and doing the very best you can, but it sounds like you and that little family need some extra help.
mom is checked regularly and gets vaccinated and never leaves home. The vet is very close but their approach is much different. They are like "there is nothing we can do, it is what it is" when it comes to newborns. Since their birth weight was low they believe it is only natural that they dont thrive. I got the same answer from 2 different vets i talked to.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to agree with mackiemac mackiemac regarding the fading kitten syndrome. It is not an automatic death sentence, when proper care and related treatments are enacted - which would likely require the help from a vet that doesn't hold the view of the ones you have spoken with. And, it is not uncommon to give newborns in this position antibiotics if need be.

See if there is anything in these articles (links below) that might help at all, if you can't manage to find another vet anywhere around your area that would be willing to help out.

I am not trying to discourage you at all, so please don't take it that way - just want to give you any assistance - however, small that might be - to help you succeed keeping these kittens alive.

Fading Kitten Syndrome | Symptoms and Causes of Fading Kitten Syndrome | petMD
How to Fight Fading Kitten Syndrome

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly... Fading Kitten Syndrome can sometimes be stopped and the kittens can be helped in some or even a number of cases. You may have to travel a little bit to find a vet who isn't so quick to give up without trying. But, it may well be very worthwhile, even if you do (sadly) lose one... if you can help whoever you can and get a helpful vet to assist you, the reward in your heart will be great. At the VERY least, you will have done everything possible for these babies and mom. You're doing a great job alone, and you deserve much commendation for your efforts, but sometimes outside help is needed. Do not let the attitudes of those other vets discourage you from finding someone to help. That vet is out there-- you may have to do some calling and traveling, or perhaps ask your vet for records and see if you can at least get a "teleconference" with another vet for some help. Technology is wonderful, and maybe this is a time when we can make it work for us.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, sorry for the back to back posts... B Bonbonche Since you are the client and you are the one providing "business" to that vet, at least until you can get to someone who is more willing to go the distance with your little family, perhaps you might want to be insistent with the vet you have now and tell them that you are willing to put the effort into tube feeding. Have them show you how, if you haven't already learned how to do so, and get the supplies from them. This is quite possibly going to be the best way to ensure that your babies are getting adequate feeding. If they are nursing, the tube feeding will be a supplement to Mom's milk to make sure that they're all getting enough to eat. You may still need to help with the glucose/sugar, but you can add that to the formula for tube feeding. Be sure that they're also getting enough fat, and not just fluid and sugar. The fat is longer term energy. Sugars (carbohydrates) get used up very quickly, and the fats more slowly, so the kittens will feel full longer, and get more "dense" feeding.

How is Mom eating? Is she eating well and getting a good diet of kitten food for the extra calories that she needs to be able to produce sufficient milk for them? During lactation, as you probably know, she also needs the extra calories and nutrition to keep her strength up.

But please, don't take no for an answer from that vet concerning the tube feeding. Tell the vet that you think it's their best chance, and you aren't ready yet to give up. The kittens you have now have made it for a week, so that's progress. Every day that they hang in there is one day closer to getting out of the woods. They will still be delicate for some time to come, but tell that vet that you want to give them every chance. Tell the vet that you want to have them checked and antibiotics if there's an infection. Also have Mom checked for mastitis, a mammary (breast) infection, just incase she's got that going on. You haven't mentioned any issues wit her, but she should also be checked just in case.Stand firm (but nice). It is their job to care for animals, and not just give up on them if the human caretaker wants to try to save them.

Bonbonche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, sorry for the back to back posts... B Bonbonche Since you are the client and you are the one providing "business" to that vet, at least until you can get to someone who is more willing to go the distance with your little family, perhaps you might want to be insistent with the vet you have now and tell them that you are willing to put the effort into tube feeding. Have them show you how, if you haven't already learned how to do so, and get the supplies from them. This is quite possibly going to be the best way to ensure that your babies are getting adequate feeding. If they are nursing, the tube feeding will be a supplement to Mom's milk to make sure that they're all getting enough to eat. You may still need to help with the glucose/sugar, but you can add that to the formula for tube feeding. Be sure that they're also getting enough fat, and not just fluid and sugar. The fat is longer term energy. Sugars (carbohydrates) get used up very quickly, and the fats more slowly, so the kittens will feel full longer, and get more "dense" feeding.

How is Mom eating? Is she eating well and getting a good diet of kitten food for the extra calories that she needs to be able to produce sufficient milk for them? During lactation, as you probably know, she also needs the extra calories and nutrition to keep her strength up.

But please, don't take no for an answer from that vet concerning the tube feeding. Tell the vet that you think it's their best chance, and you aren't ready yet to give up. The kittens you have now have made it for a week, so that's progress. Every day that they hang in there is one day closer to getting out of the woods. They will still be delicate for some time to come, but tell that vet that you want to give them every chance. Tell the vet that you want to have them checked and antibiotics if there's an infection. Also have Mom checked for mastitis, a mammary (breast) infection, just incase she's got that going on. You haven't mentioned any issues wit her, but she should also be checked just in case.Stand firm (but nice). It is their job to care for animals, and not just give up on them if the human caretaker wants to try to save them.
Momma is okay she s been checked. I also check her nipples to see if the milk is coming and to stimulate the sick kitty to suckle. The vet kinda scared about me tube feeding. They told me i will highly likely mess it up and get it to the lungs. But you are right it ll be much easirer and quicker ( which is better because he really does not like our feeding sessions.

Something gave me hope a few minutes ago, the sick kitten suckled on the nipple 4 or 5 times than gave up. But still it was a milestone.

Another thing is i sae his poop for the first time. It was very solid came in 3 parts and it was orange or very light brown. I dont know what to make of it but im thinking of including a litttle olive oil to the formula.

Bonbonche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh by the way im feeding her royal canin mother and baby along with purina felix wet food. I also give her the kitten formula as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
More hopeful signs! The color of the kitten's poop sounds normal, doesn't it - so, you're thinking it is just a tad too hard for such a little one?

I had forgotten about another member who lives in Istanbul, and so I looked up some previous posts - they had what they considered to be a very proactive, reliable vet, but I have no idea how far away this vet might be from you. The vet was Empati Akademi. If nothing else, maybe this vet would be willing to work with yours in getting some help for the kittens?

Bonbonche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More hopeful signs! The color of the kitten's poop sounds normal, doesn't it - so, you're thinking it is just a tad too hard for such a little one?

I had forgotten about another member who lives in Istanbul, and so I looked up some previous posts - they had what they considered to be a very proactive, reliable vet, but I have no idea how far away this vet might be from you. The vet was Empati Akademi. If nothing else, maybe this vet would be willing to work with yours in getting some help for the kittens?
Yeah i think hr might have been consipated. He somehow looks more relaxed, and breathing better.

That vet is like a 40 min drive from where i live. I will give them a call tomorrow.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good that Mom's getting the Royal Canin mother and baby... here in the US we call it Babycat and the formula. You're doing right. Can you get goat milk? That would also be good "extra help" for the kittens as mentioned earlier. Sheep milk might be another possibility if you can get it. It's a bit harder to find here, but sheep milk is also quite rich and described as sweet, and has less lactose than cow's milk. There are numerous kitten formulas that incorporate goat's milk and they work fairly well for orphans or ones who are being bumped away from the milk bar.

You can also check the hydration of those kittens pretty easily. Take a fold of skin from between the shoulders up with your fingers, like a tent, like this. Then let go.
1573327132126.png

The skin should snap back into position right away. If the skin doesn't snap back and stays pinched up, the kitten is dehydrated.