6.5 British Shorthair Excessive crying

The.otis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I’m really hoping someone can help me.

I have a 6.5 month old British shorthair kitten called Otis who is wonderful aside from the fact he has begun to cry excessively.

We live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the first floor with an enclosed balcony, and I take Otis into our communal garden on a lead for walks occasionally. However, he seems to be extremely bored despite playing with him throughout the day.

I visit my mothers house with Otis every weekend, who has a garden so Otis can go and play outside (lead attached just in case) I’m not sure if I should stop going to my mothers house as it may be making his boredom more acute? Now he’s experienced having a garden he can run into, is there any turning back?

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Does he act like he wants to go outside all the time, or is he just crying? There could be other animals that are disturbing him, either inside or outside (strays, ferals, new pets in other apartments...)
Don't stop going to your mom's, because the mental and physical exercise is invaluable for him, but try a couple of things. There is cat music - try Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, youtube has a lot of relaxing cat music and there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Also, there are purr toys and heartbeat toys, or even a muffled ticking clock that might help him to relax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The.otis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions - I’ll definitely give the purr toys and heartbeat toys a go.

I’ve tried the music before, but Otis continues to cry through the music! Perhaps he just didn’t like song..

I’ll keep trying and continue to visit my mums with him!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Members have commented that Musicforcats, and the harp music, seem to really bring about results :)