5 yr old male cat dribbling urine after PU surgery

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with their male cat dribbling urine after PU surgery?

He’s a sweet, but difficult cat and his recovery was longer than expected, because he kept licking the incision. The vet is worried he’ll develop scar tissue, so I put vitamin E on it a few times. But he likes the taste, so I’ve discontinued applying it

Now that his cone is off, he is dribbling urine everywhere! I don’t know why.

I can see that he starts in the litter box, but it never ends there!

any clues?
Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
His surgery was at the end of March and there was some concern that he may have a damaged bladder? Is that correct and/or still true? Is the dribbling new or continual since the surgery? You said that Luigi is dribbling more now that the cone is off?

This is one thread on the same subject which may or may not be helpful.

Leaking Urine / Incontinence After Pu Surgery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said damage to the bladder was a risk, however he's had several check-up's and it hasn't been mentioned since.

The dribbling is new. I don't even think that word is accurate any longer. It's a trail of urine. I wonder whether he's incontinent.

Taking the cone off may only be a coincidence. I've left a message with the vet to take him in for a checkup. In the meantime, I'll read the thread. Thanks so much!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know what the vet thinks is causing this. I can only think that the longer term effects of the surgery has made the bladder flaccid, although that does not mean that I am right. Can you assess if there is any control at all of the bladder? Is it to the point where you need to manage the leakage in order to keep Luigi and the house clean?

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will do. He called me back to give me an appointment for Monday. He suspects an infection.

He does go in the litter box (of which there are 3 in my home). It just never ends there.

I'm cleaning up after him at least 3 -5 times a day now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
An infection can be treated, at least, although I hope that Luigi is not uncomfortable. Good that you have an appointment tomorrow. If you can wait until then, I would hold off on trying cat diapers or stud pants as you may not need them in the long run.

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do think he may be a bit uncomfortable as he's sleeping in places he typically does not sleep, e.g., the area rug, the chair in the living room vs. sleeping with me at night and he's walking on me purring a lot. He's still his generally spunky self, however I'm relieved he's seeing the vet tomorrow!

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luigi has urinary cystitis and a suspected UTI. The vet took a urine sample and gave me medicine for him. He'll call with the results once they're in and make a prescription change, if needed.

His urine reeks! He even stunk up the vet's office. But I'm glad to know there's a reason for it and that it can be helped.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like your vet is on top of this. Poor Luigi. Any improvement yet?

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. I feel badly for him as he's grumpy and growls at (seemingly) nothing. He's probably uncomfortable.

On a positive note, the vet said his incision and new urinary opening looks fantastic! The surgery is decidedly a success. phew!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How is Luigi today? The good news is that the surgery is a success! Is there a connection between PU surgery and more frequent UTIs? Hopefully not, but it might be good to be forewarned if it were.

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still peeing everywhere. Hoping that medicine kicks in soon for his sake - and mine. lol

The vet said that it's easier for him to get an infection, I think, at the spot where the opening is as the penis is no longer there. Don't quote me on that though.

He's always been a bit of a messy one in the litter box. He has a tendency to sit too close to the litter. Not sure whether that plays a part.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It seems logical that an opening would possibly allow for an infection to start more easily. You may be onto something with Luigi sitting too close to the litter. There is a theory, and I mean this could be way out there and I have never seen it in my own cats, that a cat who sits too close to dirty litter has a higher risk of UTIs. I am not suggesting that your litter is not clean, scooped, or changed enough. If you are at work, you aren't running home to scoop the box every time that it is used during the day.

I also don't know if this would apply to all types of litter.

Hopefully he will improve very soon.