5 years old cat with CRF

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,to All!

My Best Friend is a 5 years old neutered male cat, since last Christmas was starting to loose his weight, drinking a lot..we took him for a blood test and his results  02/02/2013 

BUN 40.8 mmol/L

CREA 468 umol/L 

since then he is getting 1/2 of Fortakor 

after two weeks we went again to see the vet and asked for antibiotics course , we had it for 5 days (!!he was great during that course- eating, playing..)

10/10/2013 we had such blood test results 

PCV 24%

BUN 35.4 mmol/L

CREA 370 umol/L

On the 11th of March after ultra sound we been told that he was born with it, but he was a healthy for his  5 years, 

The only what he is eating at the moment  is a raw pork  liver- just a bit, he can come to his bowl 5-7 times and having just a little bit  at a time.

we have next vet appointment in 10 days, he started to drink less since he is eating just raw liver, but since today i give him water with a syringe , and he was vomiting in the morning, he continues to loose his weight  200 gr within 7 days, 

Im just thinking not to wait 10 days and take him to the vet earlier as i am desperate, and what should i ask our vet , what can i do for my Best Friend? 

Many thanks

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you discussed subcutaneous fluids with your vet?

There's a sticky under the Health forums titled "Important" regarding CRF.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it was mentioned to us , but with a phrase "when he gets worse", that makes me crazy, 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing since you used the words "grams" you are not located in the U.S., is that correct?  Here is a chart, in case you want it, that shows what is normal for your lab results, showing international and U.S. results (scroll down about 2/3 of the page to see the chart)  :  http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis_test_ranges_factors.htm#ranges

So since his number seen to be really high, when he was last at the Vet, did they give him fluids?  Why was he on a course of antibiotics?  Did he have an infection of some sorts? 

Raw pork liver BY ITSELF is not completely nutritional.  That could be a problem.  How long has he been eating that, and only that? " As far as liver is concerned, your cat is likely to love it but be careful. In addition to causing soft stools, your cat can get too much Vitamin A. When you feed liver, do not supplement the food with vitamin A, which can be toxic in high amounts. Signs of toxicity include anorexia, weight loss, sensitivity to touch, and loss of bone density".  He really  needs to eat something else along with the liver, and believe me, I know how difficult it is to get a kidney cat to eat
.  Since he does like liver, have you tried using freeze dried liver and crumbling it over some other foods?  I know with my dear departed Sven, I used to feed him several times a day, and many times all he ate was Temptations Naturals (with extra vitamins added), but at least it was something that was nutritionally complete, so i was happy)

Is he throwing up froth?  If so, it's probably because he isn't eating enough to keep the acidity in his stomach in check, which is a common problem with kidney cats.  You might ask your Vet if it's ok to give him 1/4 Pepcid A/C tablet twice a day?  We did that with our Sven and it really helped.  If you have trouble pilling your guy, try hiding it in that pork liver, or in a tiny bit of cream cheese, or a soft treat of any kind.

I would definitely take him in to be seen again sooner than 10 days, or at least call your Vet back.  It sounds like if he is not drinking that it may be time to start sub-q fluids, at least until he gets those numbers down to a reasonable range.  While you are on the website above, have a good look around it.  There is some wonderful info there!  As you read it, come back and ask questions.  Too many of us have been right where you are.

Last edited:

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, to All! 

Thanks to people who are getting in touch with us.

Just wanted to mention we started sub-q fluids, during the day he was fine, he wanted to go outside and he did ,  was eating , he doesn't mind to eat Hills k/d, he eats not too much , but is checking his bowl quite often, but in the evening he didn't look  very well,  he couldn't  hold his head and neck up,  was a bit in pain i think as he looked a bit like angry..Hopefully will manage to get Pepcid A/C tablet from pharmacy  today( fingers crossed). 

We are trying to get Azodyl, but as soon as reading " shipping sector" can not find the one who can send to UK refrigerated, didnt find any Azodyl in UK, 

One person already gave me links where to buy, but if there are some more people from UK who can share his/her experience with gatting Azodyl.

Will need to leave my Best Friend for all day on its own, work, work...

Thanks 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hmmmmmm, not being able to hold his head up could be a sign of low potassium, OR thiamine (Vit B1) deficiency.  When you got the lab results, did you get those too?   And did they by any chance check his blood pressure?  (I'm guessing not, but high BP is very common in kidney cats.

I could have sworn I posted last night, but it's not showing up, so am posting it again.  Just in case he starts balking at eating the Hill's A/D, here is a listing of foods in the U/K in order of their potassium level.  This is the CANNED food listing, and I highly recommend you feed canned, simply because of the moisture content.  Plus, if you do need to switch food, I would suggest you read the first four "bullet points" under Diet and Nutrition listed on the left column about 1/3 of the way down on this page of the website.  It's got important information on it.  http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_uk.htm

Just curious, how much fluids are they having you give him, and how often?

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having fluids 170 ml every other day, he continues to drink as he used to , looks like still  very thirsty ,i just thought he wont be so thirsty with getting fluids.

I  didn't manage to buy any Pepcid A/C from pharmacy, they said they are not getting it any more,They gave me Zantac instead, didn't give him any yet.

My big concern is as well, i decided to check his poo, sorry for these details, but it very hard and inside i noticed black stones, what's going on with him? 

Many thanks 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our Sven used to immediately drink water right after we gave him his sub-q fluids
.  Happened every time, without fail!  Never could figure that out

Can you call around to other pharmacies to see if anyone carries Pepcid A/C/  Do you have stores like Target or Walmart in the UK.  They even carry it.  As far as Zantac goes, towards to end, we were also giving that to Sven, but our Vet had to determine how much to give him based on his weight, and what we were giving him was the prescription form, and 1/8 of a tablet.  So I wouldn't even begin to advise you on how much to give your guy!  With Pepcid A/C, it's always the same amount for every cat.

Your guy's stool is very hard right now because it has been dehydrated.  That's pretty normal, I think.  As to the black stones within it...not sure.  Maybe it's that pork liver!  All I know is that black, tarry DIARRHEA is a sign of internal bleeding, but this is definitely not what you are describing. 

BTW, I sent you another pm.

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
US Walmart in UK is ASDA- i couldnt get it there, need to order from USA.

I was thinking how to describe what i found in his stool- its more like  black marble flat pieces( small stones). i hope its a pork , as its really indigestible.

Regarding his blood pressure,been told its normal, i didnt ask exactly to be honest, the vet used to be very nice when we had minor problems, but now when we are in danger- the vet is strange, as less as possible questions , very quick  and general answers. will call tomorrow to receptionist and ask again . 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just checking in!  How is this kitty doing? 

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking, our boy is doing fine, we are on the prescription food ( Royal Canin - Renal Special), the only thing- he prefers a dry one at the moment, but  this special food made a big difference for him,  we are having sub-q fluids every other day, he is not throwing his food  any more - i think pepcid a/c is helping him . in general he looks fine, we see Vet on Thursday, and planning to do his Blood Test, as we are expecting Azodyl next week, so before taking it we want to  make his Blood Test.

Thanks again for asking about my Best Friend Kitty

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great mews!  So glad things are going well.  Let us know how the blood test goes. 

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would like to share our  Blood Test Results of our kitty, 

Didnt get all printed out yet, just some that managed to write down during the phone call from vet

16 april -   BUN 25,5 mmol/L  (International 71.4) - 18 march BUN 57 mmol/L  ( international 159.6)

Creatinine 277.0 umol/L  (international 3.13)-18 march CREA  400 umol/L 4.5)

Calcium 2.38 mmol/L   ( normal  2.1-2.9)

Phosphate 2.1mmol/L ( 1.1-2.8)

Potassium and Phosphorus  vet said are normal, didnt manage to write down.

OUR PCV IS JUST 19%, during the phone call vet mentioned about Epogen, but when we went to VET surgery after work, our vet wasnt there , the other vet didnt want to give us anything , but our vet will be back just on Friday. 

Im really worried about his PCV , does anyone know how can i help my kitty now, i brought with me to the vet Methylcobalamin, 5mg, high absorpsion vitamin b12, but she didnt want to tell about any dosage...

Many, many thanks

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow its amazing the level of details that you get from the blood test, but its almost pointless if they aren't helping proactivly then and there. good luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it appears Epo may well be what is needed at this point, since his PCV is that low.  Did you read this page on the feline.org website:  http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

Also, I found this reference to the methylcobalamin: 

• "Dosage varies according to the cat's weight. According to FelineDabetes.com, many owners of diabetic cats give their pets 3 to 5 milligrams per day. Methylcobalamin is a water-soluble vitamin, therefore, any amount not used by the body is eliminated in the urine. Because of this, overdosing is unlikely, however, cats with chronic renal failure may need smaller doses, according to FelineCRF.org."

Here is the link on the felinecrf.org site that discusses methylcobalamin:  http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methylcobalamin

Keep us posted after you see your regular Vet on Friday
    .  At least his BUN has dropped!  Some good news, at least

asta691

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, im reading a lot, trying to read emails of other people after joining yahoogroup,  month ago his PCV was 22, after seeing him back as a normal cat with good appettite, i hoped PCV at least wasnt getting lower, but i do realize i missed that . 

In addition to  lower Bun , we managed to have Creatinine lower as well from 400 (UK) to 277(UK), international 4.5 to 3.13, its a small step forwards.

Many Thanks  

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh!  I  missed the lower creatinine.  Well, those two together are good news on the CRF front.  So now it's the anemia (or possible anemia).  Maybe the added Methylcobalamin will help. 

I'm so glad you joined that yahoo group
.  They're already on top of this, I imagine, right?  Giving you good tips?

Keep us posted.  We can use good tips too, to pass along to others