5 Year Old Cat Suspected Lymphoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new to this site in a desperate effort to find some comfort in those with similar experiences. My beautiful, happy 5 year old Mickey got out of the house the other day. After an hour of searching we found him and safely brought him back home.

Mickey ate his food right away and expectedly was still freaked out and forlorn. We gave him a couple days o recoup but gradually his eating decreased until yesterday when he ate nothing whatsoever. He would still drink his normal amount however and pee in his litter box.

This morning his stool was runny and he still wouldn't eat so we decided to run his to the pet hospital. We weren't allowed back with him despite telling them that Mickey doesn't cooperate with doctors unless we're there. After the initial exam the doctor came out to tell us that they couldn't fully examine Mickey because they were afraid he would scratch or bite them...

The vet asked permission to sedate him and we agreed just hoping it would help speed a diagnosis along.
At this point we were almost certain he had picked up a virus while he was outside. However, the vet came back and instantly began telling us he likely has cancer. I was skeptical of this because they hadn't done an x-ray or ultrasound but just physically examined his abdomen which she described as rigid. We waited for an x-ray and she confirmed that both kidneys were a bit large but that the main issue was a mass on or in his intestines.

I was getting a very odd vibe from this vet and so we decided to wait until tomorrow to proceed with our usual vet during their open hours. Perhaps it is just my fear causing me to doubt this doctor's prognosis, but something didn't seem right about how quickly she was calling it cancer. I still think this must be related to his time outside seeing as he was perfectly fine and eating normally before getting out.

Once we brought Mickey home, we tried again to feed him and this time he ate ravenously. I'm curious if this is due to the painkillers allowing him to eat without whatever discomfort he was feeling.

I now have my poor lethargic baby in my lap, unsure of what we'll find out tomorrow and scared to death that I'll lose my best friend.

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to read you're going through this :( I think seeing your regular vet is definitely a good idea, and happy to hear he was eating when he came back.

I'm not that knowledgeable in this area sorry but wanted to pass on some positive thoughts to you and your kitty. Go give him a big squeeze and ask him to give you one back.

Let me know what the vet says tomorrow, I have my fingers crossed that it could be something else that's easy to treat for you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending you guys best thoughts and prayers for good results from your normal vet!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you actually see the x-ray? And you are right, they have no idea if it's cancer just by feeling and even if it is an x-ray. It would take further testing to diagnose it. It might be a benign tumor of some sort.
I hope your vet has better news. Please keep us updated.

LisaKRD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that you get better news than the initial visit. A plain xray does not tell the whole story. One of my guys is diagnosed with IBD, this was based off an ultrasound and not a bx. Lymphoma was also a concern but since he has been eating well and gained weight back we are hoping that right now it is irritiable bowel disease (IBD). At this point you don't know enough. There are treatments for lymphoma that are very effective and cats can live for some. My hope is that there is nothing that serious going on with you kitty. I certainly understand the devastation that one can feel when they are told something could be seriously wrong with our precious cat. Hugs.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given your cats young age I wouldn't get too upset until after your follow up with your regular vet. Even if the regular vet agrees, he is young enough that there are several treatment options out there to try. Whatever is going on, there is hope.

Please let us know how it goes.

IAcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the other posts the vet can't tell its lymphoma. My cat has had very runny liquid poop since last July and the vet has been trying different treatments. The only way to tell it is for sure lymphoma is a biopsy of the intestine. I have not done that with my cat yet. The vet has said many times though the only way to know if its gi lymphoma is a biopsy.

I really hope the vet was wrong and it's not cancer. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I didn't have notifications on so unfortunately I'm only see your kind words now.

We took Mickey to our regular vet who was sent a digital copy of the exam done at the first vet and the x-rays. The x-rays look fairly terrifying. Our regular vet seems to think the mass has fused to his intestines as there are areas of intestine hidden on the x-ray by the mass. We were told it has mastasized which I must admit I don't fully understand if that means malignant or just growing.

I sobbed uncontrollably while the vet described that the mass was pressing against his intestines and causing his stomach to feel full and painful when he eats.

We were prescribed painkillers and marazapin(sp?) to help get his appetite up and within a day of these meds my little guy is eating like his old self.

He hasn't pooped in 3 days which is my current worry but we have an appointment set for Monday to do an ultrasound and aspirate.

I hate to say I'm hopeful because his x-ray didn't look good but seeing him eat and not feel pain makes it hard not to think positively about the road ahead.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I'm so sorry... :-(
Metastisized usually means it's cancer that has spread. Is there a game plan for treatment for your cat? I'm glad you got the painkillers.
Your cat may not be able to poop because of the mass. Or he hasn't pooped in three days because he wasn't eating before. I think I would call the vet about that. Try adding some metamusil (unflavored) in his food.

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I'm so sorry... :-(
Metastisized usually means it's cancer that has spread. Is there a game plan for treatment for your cat? I'm glad you got the painkillers.
Your cat may not be able to poop because of the mass. Or he hasn't pooped in three days because he wasn't eating before. I think I would call the vet about that. Try adding some metamusil (unflavored) in his food.
No game plan until we get the ultrasound on Monday unfortunately. They didn't have any sooner appointments. I'm going to try pumpkin which is supposed to be a natural laxative and if that doesn't work, I'll call the vet and see what he thinks.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you and your kitty are going through this. It's such a heartbreaking diagnosis- around 6 months ago, my vet told me that my cat very likely has small cell lymphoma. We didn't do a biopsy so it isn't 100% certain, and she is still doing fine and gaining weight once put on Prednisolone, so hopefully it is IBD.

Let us know how the ultrasound goes, and remember that cancer can be very treatable in cats. I know that the vet said that it is spreading, but I would try every possible option before losing hope :hugs: Even if it is the worst, there are lots of things that can be done to make sure your kitty remains happy and pain free for as long as possible.

And you're definitely not wrong for doubting the first vet you saw! It took around 2 months to finally 'diagnose' my cat with something- strange that they would diagnose your cat so soon with so few tests done (even if the diagnoses ends up being right).

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is definitely lymphoma. His blood tests showed his kidneys are elevated at 2.5 but 2 is average so the oncologist isn't worried so much about his kidneys as she is about him not eating.

Mickey is now on an anti-nausea medication and after an aspirate tomorrow night will begin prednisone. We started the half pill of anti-nausea tonight but Mickey hasn't eaten anything all day and still isn't interested in food. I don't want to torture him feeding him by syringe if he'll eat on his own but I'm getting more and more concerned about him not eating.

We're supposed to see how he does on prednisone before deciding if he's a good candidate for chemo but either way I don't have long with my boy and it's breaking my heart to think about living without him. I don't know how to deal with this... he's only 5.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no krisash krisash , I am so sorry :( I know it feels hopeless right now but some cats respond very well to chemo. I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating yet; the prednisone is what will really help him start to feel better. Let him rest & once the meds start hopefully he'll feel better. Until then, give him (and yourself) all the love you need. We are all here for you :hugs::redheartpump:

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no krisash krisash , I am so sorry :( I know it feels hopeless right now but some cats respond very well to chemo. I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating yet; the prednisone is what will really help him start to feel better. Let him rest & once the meds start hopefully he'll feel better. Until then, give him (and yourself) all the love you need. We are all here for you :hugs::redheartpump:
Thank you alzycat alzycat we have a gofundme so I'm trying not to let coat influence my decision too much but our oncologist didn't seem optimistic that chemo would give him more than a year with us so I'm torn. It's hard to differentiate what I'm doing to help him and what I'm doing to help myself because I love him so much..

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
krisash krisash I completely understand that feeling. Its so hard to know what will be the "right" choice, but it sounds like you've been making all the right choices so far :redheartpump: when it comes down to it, we really are our cat's caretakers; so whatever the choice is for your furry friend's happiness will end up being the "right" one.. No matter how hard it is for us. Its just the sacrifice we make when we agree to let these little creatures into our hearts. But for now, try not to look too far ahead.. Just enjoy your time with him and appreciate all the happy times you've had, and all the times yet to come. Do you mind sharing what the name of the gofundme is or providing the link? I'm sure lots of people on this site who have the means to help will :hugs:

Wsmith4babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a vet to give u some syringes. feed ur baby. Go get pedalyte and baby food meat kind. Mix n give ur baby. In the mouth..
our girl peachez with ibd. small cell lymphoma eats but is very picky. So we do L I D foods and all grain free... her's is in her intestines from 10months not knowing she has severe ibd. She's on chemo and chinese herb's from a holistic vet that comes out every 2weeks for laser acupuncture as well. She's on 1ml prednisolone daily and chemo of chlorimbucul 0.5ml every other day.but we also syringe her food (pate) n water to keep her hydration up. She takes purina 1 pckg of probiotic daily. Milk thistle 0.5ml twice day. She takes urisidol 0.5ml once day. for upset tummy. Miralax teaspoon 1/2 daily. for regular pottying.
And metridnizole 0.5ml twice day. for antibiotic. We also have gabapentin for pain. And feline granular powder for vitamins and antioxidants and immune system support.
The chinese herbs she's on are
lift a qi 5 drops twice a day
Myco forte 2 drops twice day
Which is the 5 essential mushrooms
Oh and cbd oil one drop on foot or in mouth from ur finger when needed. Usually couple times a day. She sleeps great and has a huge appetite...
She had a ultrasound biopsy for fluid
A ultrasound for intestine and tummy biopsy. Which showed she has this.
We take her to internal medicine vet. She has a cardiologist for her grade 3 heart murmur. A holistic vet. A oncologist and a regular vet. If she don't want the food wr give her after opening 4 different kinds we use a syringe or dropper of a pate food and she'll go eat the bowls of food.
Don't let yalls babies go without water or food please. It's very crutical

So sorry to read you're going through this :( I think seeing your regular vet is definitely a good idea, and happy to hear he was eating when he came back.

I'm not that knowledgeable in this area sorry but wanted to pass on some positive thoughts to you and your kitty. Go give him a big squeeze and ask him to give you one back.

Let me know what the vet says tomorrow, I have my fingers crossed that it could be something else that's easy to treat for you.

Wsmith4babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
krisash krisash I completely understand that feeling. Its so hard to know what will be the "right" choice, but it sounds like you've been making all the right choices so far :redheartpump: when it comes down to it, we really are our cat's caretakers; so whatever the choice is for your furry friend's happiness will end up being the "right" one.. No matter how hard it is for us. Its just the sacrifice we make when we agree to let these little creatures into our hearts. But for now, try not to look too far ahead.. Just enjoy your time with him and appreciate all the happy times you've had, and all the times yet to come. Do you mind sharing what the name of the gofundme is or providing the link? I'm sure lots of people on this site who have the means to help will :hugs:

Wsmith4babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a vet to give u some syringes. feed ur baby. Go get pedalyte and baby food meat kind. Mix n give ur baby. In the mouth..
our girl peachez with ibd. small cell lymphoma eats but is very picky. So we do L I D foods and all grain free... her's is in her intestines from 10months not knowing she has severe ibd. She's on chemo and chinese herb's from a holistic vet that comes out every 2weeks for laser acupuncture as well. She's on 1ml prednisolone daily and chemo of chlorimbucul 0.5ml every other day.but we also syringe her food (pate) n water to keep her hydration up. She takes purina 1 pckg of probiotic daily. Milk thistle 0.5ml twice day. She takes urisidol 0.5ml once day. for upset tummy. Miralax teaspoon 1/2 daily. for regular pottying.
And metridnizole 0.5ml twice day. for antibiotic. We also have gabapentin for pain. And feline granular powder for vitamins and antioxidants and immune system support.
Oh and cbd oil one drop on foot or in mouth from ur finger when needed. Usually couple times a day. She sleeps great and has a huge appetite...
We take her to internal medicine vet. She has a cardiologist for her grade 3 heart murmur. A holistic vet. A oncologist and a regular vet. If she don't want the food wr give her after opening 4 different kinds we use a syringe or dropper of a pate food and she'll go eat the bowls of food.

Our girl is 12 years old.
But the site has me under kitten.

What's ur gofundme page ill help.

Wsmith4babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Status
Not open for further replies.