5 week old kittens lethargic and not moving

catshealth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends. I'm hoping you all can help as a vet and expensive medications are kind of out of the question for me. I'm taking care of a litter of kittens (along with their mother who is half stray as she stays with us as well) and now 2 of the 3 kittens are not doing great. They are 5 weeks old and was born healthy but one of them just passed away about a week ago. Now a second one is showing the same symptoms.

The first kitten was the runt and one day was just unresponsive one day. She was breathing through her mouth and wasn't moving. We tried to poop and pee her with massage (she did) and give her sugar water. She couldn't swallow though so we just put a bit in her mouth/gums. Her gums were white. We wrapped blankets around her even though it is ~30C here. She didn't get any better with our interventions. She passed away some hours after finding her like that.

Today, the same thing is happening with another kitty. He didn't have as much energy yesterday and today he deteriorated quickly and is now unresponsive. We are doing the same as we did with the previous kitty but of course we're afraid it won't be enough. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catshealth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I regret to say he just passed away as well 😥 This really sucks. If anyone still has suggestions though I'd still love to hear it. Only one kitten remains and I plan on doing things different with her should she start getting sick too.

FYI I'm in rural Philippines and a vet and meds are hard to come by but i will look for antibiotics and things like that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. I have a horrible feeling that with a vet being not available, this last kitten isn't going to make it, HOWEVER...if you can get honey, that will boost her more than simple sugar water, and goat's milk can be given with a medicine dropper, as well. Keep her warm, and near mama so that she can clean and encourage her.

I'm thinking that one of two things has happened here...either there is something going on genetically, or mama may have an illness that, while an adult cat can deal with it, a very young kitten cannot. Although, they made it for 5 weeks, so a genetic problem may be more likely.

Hopefully, we'll get someone on here with some ideas about antibiotics...which ones, what doseages, etc. fairly soon. StefanZ StefanZ , do you have any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catshealth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. We just buried him next to Tiny, his sister. I'm going to get honey, goat milk, a scale to weigh kitty, and maybe some hard foods for while shes healthy. I'll bleach all the bedding and stuff and give kitten a bath as well. And i'll be on the lookout for antibiotics - recommendations are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she's COVERED in fleas, then the others were, as well, and that MIGHT have caused it. Can you get Dawn dish soap there? It is safe for bathing cats, and kills fleas. Just rinse very well, and keep the baby warm until dry. DO BE AWARE that kittens are more heat-sensitive than we are, so the water should be a bit cooler than would be comfortable to a human.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's COVERED in fleas, then the others were, as well, and that MIGHT have caused it. Can you get Dawn dish soap there? It is safe for bathing cats, and kills fleas. Just rinse very well, and keep the baby warm until dry. DO BE AWARE that kittens are more heat-sensitive than we are, so the water should be a bit cooler than would be comfortable to a human.
Are you sure it wont be too cold?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get glucose sugar / dextrose? This is even better than honey... And better than sugar water. In USA its difficult to find but may be easier in other countries.
I suppose the kitten is still feeding on mommas milk? Change it to goats milk NOW. As there is some possibility its some fault on mommas milk.

If there is much fleas, work vigorously with it! Much fleas do kill kittens! Pluck them off and or bathe her. If you dont have Dawn soap, probably most mild liquid soaps should be ok. Luke warm water or slightly more, and be sure the kitten wont get chilled off during bath or afterward. So, no draught and dry off. Luckily, at 5 weeks they arent that sensitive to temperature as they were earlier.

If the air temp there is around 30C, its really more than comfortable for cats. But I suppose they manage it... Having a fan doesnt hurt (but not just after bath)

Thanks for the responses. We just buried him next to Tiny, his sister. I'm going to get honey, goat milk, a scale to weigh kitty, and maybe some hard foods for while shes healthy. I'll bleach all the bedding and stuff and give kitten a bath as well. And i'll be on the lookout for antibiotics - recommendations are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.