5 Week Old Kitten Not Eating And Walking Hunched

Josi.foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am fostering three 5-week old kittens, two boys and one girl. I brought them on Saturday and the boys eat well and are very playful but the little girl seems lethargic and has not eaten since then, although she drinks water. She is not meowing in pain but she walks with her back arched (like hunched), and to me that seems like she has a stomach problem. I think she pooped once, but very little (normal stool, not diarrhea). I will be taking her to the foundation vet tomorrow to have them check her, but I thought about asking in the meantime if you have seen these symptoms before in a kitten and what that could be (not eating, lethargic, walking hunched). I attached a picture of how she looks (hunched). She walks like that too. I couldn't upload a video.
Arched kitty.JPG

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. I dont know what the problem is, but i hope its nothing serious. Im glad she has a vet appointment, i think it is needed. Let us know what you find out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have pate style kitten food, try mixing it with water and syringe feeding her a bit at a time. This little girl really does need to eat something. And please let us know what the vet said! I'm going to be fretting about that little cutie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josi.foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will end up going to the vet today, in a little bit. I will ask them for a syringe so I can feed her something more liquid. Will let you know what they said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josi.foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I took her to the vet and they did blood tests on her, but she did not have anything, thankfully. They fed her a different food (a Royal Canin for moms and kittens), and after having to put a little in her mouth first, she ended up devouring the rest from the dish. I feed the other kittens the kitten formula turkey Fancy Feast and they love it, but I guess for now I will feed the girl this other food. They gave me pain medication for her, for the next 5 days, because they said it seemed she had some pain on the side, and vitamins to feed her with a syringe. Other than that, she does not seem to have any disease, and she ate again when we came back home, so I can go to sleep in peace! I will still be keeping an eye out during the next days and hopefully I see her more active like her brothers soon.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, excellent news!

Now, don't go away just because she is doing well again! We have a LOT of fosterers and rescue folks on here with all sorts of tips and information, and who are always looking for tips and information. You can become an integral and valuable part of this community, and we are thrilled to have you! If you haven't already, you can go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your current little charges to the community!