5 Week Old Kitten Doesn't Understand Litter Box

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been bottle feeding an orphaned kitten since 10/22/19. She was a couple days old when I got her so she's 5 weeks old now. I've been calling her Spicy. This weekend I introduced kitten wet food and a litter box. I got the Royal Canin Mother & Babycat food. I set up a litter box using one of the cardboard cartons from my 2 senior cats wet food cases with non-clumping litter. I set her in the box after eating, but she didn't understand. She rolled around in the litter, chewed on the edge of the box and tried to eat the litter. Someone suggested using a paper plate so I tried that, but she just pounces around in it like a sandbox. She pooped in a corner of the bathroom I was trying to train her in when I went to check on the other cats. I put the put the box in her kennel overnight and she pooped right in front of it on the towel I had underneath. I tossed those poops in the box to show her that's where it's supposed to go, but she still thinks it's to play with. My 14 year old was 5-6 weeks when I got her and she took to the litter box immediately. My 13 year old was 6-8 weeks and he understood the litter box as well. What do I do with this girl?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some kittens take a little longer to catch onto the litter box than others, so keep doing what you've been doing, and she should get the hang of it.

Got any pics of the sweetie girl you can share?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :hearthrob:

I don't think you waited too long to introduce the litter box, as it generally is at the same time you start kitten food. There's several tips in the article FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted the link to, including putting her in the litter box directly after eating, which is when kittens often have "to go". Good luck. I'm sure she'll catch on sooner than later.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are experiencing is not uncommon at all, MANY kittens play with the box and litter at first until they get the hang of it. Some are just more mature than others, she is just a tiny baby yet, and her mind is on other things. Just like with human babies, some get teh idea of toilet training right away, and tehn there are others who take a while. (my son comes to mind, I thought he's be going to preschool in diapers at 4, he didn't!)
Just make sure to keep her poops in the box, don't take them out for a while. Also try taking some of your other cat's urine balls and putting a small amount in a corner of the box so she gets the idea. After every meal, and especially after a heavy play session, many times a day, put her in the box. Don't force her to stay, just put her back in it several times and then let it go, you don't want her afraid of it. iI know this is frustrating, but eventually she WILL get the hang of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use clumping litter for the big cats, so dropping theirs in her box might not be a good idea since she still tries to eat the litter. I've had her watch me cover her poop after she's gone or I've stimulated her to go. She pees/poops just outside the box in her kennel overnight. This part is becoming more frustrating than the constant bottle feeding was. I ordered paper pellet litter and a small litter box because maybe she doesn't like the regular clay litter and cardboard case/paper plate setup. And it was regular clay litter and a regular litter box that the big ones took to as kittens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday news is suggested for kittens. Eating litter is a sign of needing nutrients or that she is a kitten. The litter boxes at Petco are especially for kittens. They come in a 3 pack. Luckily, when I reacued her 5 weeks old I never had to train her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 that's the brand I ordered. I'll have to check Petco out in person for a kitten 3 pack litter box. I didn't see any small or kitten specific litter boxes on the website.