5 Week (ish) Abandoned Kittens - 'runt' Is Incontinenent, Maybe?!

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 little kittens living in my spare room. I am fostering them for a local shelter. They were found in a bin at 3-4 weeks so no mum around (unfortunately in the country i live in that is depressingly common.) They were given cooked beef before they came to us (noooooo) so we've had a full rollercoaster of constipation then diarrhoea over the last 10 days! Now 3 of them are doing great, bags of energy and getting chubby hehe.
We've taken advice from the vet about the fourth little one, he was just very small and suffered all the usual problems... however he's actually on the mend now (fingers, toes and legs all crossed) however he seems to have trouble holding his bowels. He CAN use the litter tray but he also seems to sort of...leak?! Like right now he's just had a bum-bath and a bottle of milk (wont drink it by himself yet) and hes curled in my lap sleeping but he's just dribbled a little mess onto the tissue i've placed under him. Ugh sorry, bit graphic!

What i'm wondering is if anyone else has had this with tiny kittens? Is it likely to stop happening as he gets stronger and bigger? I'm not expecting him to be perfectly litter trained after all the tummy troubles he's had but this doesnt seem like he's choosing when to go and i'm worried for him as he'll be impossible to rehome if he can't be litter trained :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr / milk do you use? Can you get goats milk? Raw or cartooned. / powder?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, which formula are you using?

However, he will probably have no bowel issues when he is bigger and eating solids.

Thank you for fostering! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's Royal Canin babycat milk, powdered. They were eating some solids already before they came to me so vet advised to offer small amounts of kitten patè after their milk too and they eat everything straight down! The other 3 have totally normal kitten tummies now, just worrying about my littlest baby

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Royal Canin is excellent!

Has he had a round of antibiotics?

Beyond that, sprinkle probiotic powder into his formula. That should help his gut.

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No antibiotics as far as I know, but he's been dewormed etc. Will look into probiotic powder for him - thanks :D

Lalahol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the kitten leaving little puddles every few mins and wet and sore looking bum and tail area. Could be urinary infection. Had same problem with two abandoned kittens we found. Got some Betamox anti biotics from vet and helped clear up problem really quickly and they were upta no good on no time.

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he did seem to be leaving little 'puddles' and he did look very wet and sore. However he seems to be less wet today and in fact the skin is starting to dry out. He's due back at the vets this week so i will ask him about the antibiotics if he doesnt continue improving. Thank you!
Is there anything i can put on his sore bum to help it heal?! I've heard vaseline is good but it seems like it could be very bad if he licked it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use coconut or olive oil. Both are non-toxic if ingested and will help heal it.

Is the diarrhea getting better?

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use coconut or olive oil. Both are non-toxic if ingested and will help heal it.

Is the diarrhea getting better?
Yes it does seem to be getting a bit better by itself, thankfully! He's better at controlling when and where he goes already, I worried about him for days and as soon as i asked the question he started to get better...typical! :p