5 months old cat meowing non-stop

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,I’ve got a healthy cat that is five months old and since she was three or four she has never stopped meowing for no reason.
-She is healthy.
-She is not in heat.
-She gets three meals a day (dry & wet food)
-She has two litterboxes (clean)
-She has a water fountain and a bowl of water
-She has a scratcher
-She has siblings to play with
-She has plenty of toys (interactive)

I’m sick and tired of being waken up every single morning two hours before my alarm just because this cat meows constantly…I have a talkative cat too,but that cat isn’t waking me up constantly or annoying me.
And in case that wasn’t enough she doesn’t want any attention when it comes to touch her,she is scared asf of everyone in my family and the other two cats are well behaved.
(Pd: she is not a siamese,she is a marbled tabby cat)

anyone know why?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You say she's not in heat, but are you sure? If she hasn't been spayed and she's five months old she probably is cycling in and out of heat at the moment. As well as being really noisy her hormones will be making her skittish and possibly aggressive, so if she's intact you need to get her spayed as soon as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You say she's not in heat, but are you sure? If she hasn't been spayed and she's five months old she probably is cycling in and out of heat at the moment. As well as being really noisy her hormones will be making her skittish and possibly aggressive, so if she's intact you need to get her spayed as soon as you can.
I’ve owned five cats,four of them were females…I do know how a cat in heat meows and I’m not getting her spayed yet,she isn’t even 2 kg I’m responsible not cruel

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve owned five cats,four of them were females…I do know how a cat in heat meows and I’m not getting her spayed yet,she isn’t even 2 kg I’m responsible not cruel
Cats can have silent heats. Cats can have very loud, yowling heats or very lovey, purring heats. Cats can have their first heat at 4 months and be pregnant by 5 months, so there is nothing "cruel" about getting her spayed now. You can have her spayed under 2kgs, she'll be fine.

:)

Here are a few articles that might help you, please take a look at them.

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can have silent heats. Cats can have very loud, yowling heats or very lovey, purring heats. Cats can have their first heat at 4 months and be pregnant by 5 months, so there is nothing "cruel" about getting her spayed now. You can have her spayed under 2kgs, she'll be fine.

I know I wouldn't risk spaying my cat under 2kgs. Spaying IS major surgery. Though I will say a vet visit may be in order if she hasn't been recently to make sure she doesn't have any health issues causing her to over vocalize.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know I wouldn't risk spaying my cat under 2kgs. Spaying IS major surgery. Though I will say a vet visit may be in order if she hasn't been recently to make sure she doesn't have any health issues causing her to over vocalize.
If you check Google organisations such as Blue Cross, Alley Cat Allies or RSPCA recommend spaying at 2lbs, which is just under 1kg rather than at 2kg, which is almost 4.5 lbs.

Kittencutness

Kitten-cuteness
Kitten
Purraise
She can still be going through heat cycles. One of our females started at 4 months old. She did not bellow like most females do. She just meowed nonstop. Also, early spay and neuter is much kinder then late. Any litters we’ve had they are done at 14 weeks old. They immediately bounce back when they wake up like nothing every happened. There’s many health benefits To doing it early as well. You should research it. I always waited until 6 months old but watching all the older rescues healing and always picking at the incision on top of them finding anesthetic really hard this is so much better. Our kittens are around 2.5-3 pounds when they are done.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

She’s been meowing like that since she was two months old I think that’s in her genes 😂 also her not biological sister who is spayed and is almost one year old do the exactly same sound as the kitten.
I believe she has learned it from her sister,the only cat that doesn’t meow is the siamese…ironic isn’t it?

Also I’m getting her spayed by next mont :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With male kittens I like to wait until they are 6 months old if you can..... with girl cats I like to get them spayed at 4 months old; just in case! That way no surprise pregnancies!!!

Thay said 2 questions:

1) Why is she still under 4 pounds?!?! & here in the states vets will spay or neuter a kitten once they reach 2 pounds or 1 kg. So it can be done ...., though I always waited until they were bigger at 4-6 months old at 8-12 pounds size.

2) Why are all your female cats not spayed?!?!? Besides heat being hell fot all involved; it increases her chances of mammary cancer. 😢 Here in the states you can usually find a low cost clinic that once a month will fix your cat or dog for around $40. I assume you are in another country.

⭐Have you tried leaving out enough dry food for everyone to eat a midnight meal plus some or feeding them wet at midnight? Hungry cats are noisy cats! Some obnoxious a-hole cats will wake you up 4 hours before your normal wake up time to feed them!!! I feed my cat at midnight & again around 7-8 am. I feed him late so the little bastard will let me sleep. Heck half the time (since I don’t work) I feed him then go back to sleep for a few more hours!

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With male kittens I like to wait until they are 6 months old if you can..... with girl cats I like to get them spayed at 4 months old; just in case! That way no surprise pregnancies!!!

Thay said 2 questions:

1) Why is she still under 4 pounds?!?! & here in the states vets will spay or neuter a kitten once they reach 2 pounds or 1 kg. So it can be done ...., though I always waited until they were bigger at 4-6 months old at 8-12 pounds size.

2) Why are all your female cats not spayed?!?!? Besides heat being hell fot all involved; it increases her chances of mammary cancer. 😢 Here in the states you can usually find a low cost clinic that once a month will fix your cat or dog for around $40. I assume you are in another country.

⭐Have you tried leaving out enough dry food for everyone to eat a midnight meal plus some or feeding them wet at midnight? Hungry cats are noisy cats! Some obnoxious a-hole cats will wake you up 4 hours before your normal wake up time to feed them!!! I feed my cat at midnight & again around 7-8 am. I feed him late so the little bastard will let me sleep. Heck half the time (since I don’t work) I feed him then go back to sleep for a few more hours!
Don’t get me wrong…all my cats are fixed except the kitten who is getting spayed next month!
Also,I’m not a irresponsible person and none of my cats had ever got pregnant while they were not spayed!
All my cats are 100% INDOOR,no way of going out…Every time somebody comes to my house no matter if they’ve got a key they HAVE to knock the door or call me because everyone in my family know that I’m super scared of my cats running away and not coming back.

When it comes down to food they have three meals of wet food,salmon oil,snacks and some kibble that I use when clicker training.
Also they’re trained to go into a cat playpen everytime someone’s go into my house so that they can feel safe and in their place (with the playpen open in case they wanna leave) and this action is rewarded with food.
Brushing is rewarded with food,brushing their tooth is rewarded too.
I’m not free feeding because they are being clicker trained,also the kitchen is not a safe place for them because they learned how to to open cabinets and inside there are toxic products.

It may be her genetics…also she is not losing weight,she is gaining weight every two weeks.
Don’t get me wrong,I care about my cats way too much.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to hear everyone is fixed & I never doubted you love them!!! At 5 month old she is still growing until she is 24 months old. So I would still try the late night snack to see if that helps. If a cat under 2 years old looks hungry, feed them. Also give them kitten food until they are 2-2.5 years old. Plus cats are grazers. I feed mine mostly wet and he gets 4 meals a day of 1/2 a can or 1.5 oz plus dry food to nibble on whenever. He isn’t fat or overweight & he just turned 3 years old.

I also clicker trained ! I may have to try that pen idea. Jackie can sit, high 10 (with both paws), spin, get up on the foot stool to put on/take off his harness, sit & meow for wet food & he is learning to lie down. Granted I really haven’t been training him the last 6 months.

Lastly I do have a half siamese talkative cat. I have found he shuts up in a couple of weeks of minutes if I talk back to him. My most common response is “what?” Niw if I did not live in a retirement community I would have trained him to let me sleep the easy way! Every time the cat wakes you up, calmly pick them up & lock them out of your bedroom or better yet in their own cat room (with litter, water, food, bed & a couple toys.) Then ignore them at all costs until your morning alarm goes off. I suggest you run a fan or two. I had to train Jackie to let me sleep the hard way, by ignoring him & playing dead. Eventually he got the message but it took months instead of weeks.

I would love to see a picture of your cat! 😻

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to hear everyone is fixed & I never doubted you love them!!! At 5 month old she is still growing until she is 24 months old. So I would still try the late night snack to see if that helps. If a cat under 2 years old looks hungry, feed them. Also give them kitten food until they are 2-2.5 years old. Plus cats are grazers. I feed mine mostly wet and he gets 4 meals a day of 1/2 a can or 1.5 oz plus dry food to nibble on whenever. He isn’t fat or overweight & he just turned 3 years old.

I also clicker trained ! I may have to try that pen idea. Jackie can sit, high 10 (with both paws), spin, get up on the foot stool to put on/take off his harness, sit & meow for wet food & he is learning to lie down. Granted I really haven’t been training him the last 6 months.

Lastly I do have a half siamese talkative cat. I have found he shuts up in a couple of weeks of minutes if I talk back to him. My most common response is “what?” Niw if I did not live in a retirement community I would have trained him to let me sleep the easy way! Every time the cat wakes you up, calmly pick them up & lock them out of your bedroom or better yet in their own cat room (with litter, water, food, bed & a couple toys.) Then ignore them at all costs until your morning alarm goes off. I suggest you run a fan or two. I had to train Jackie to let me sleep the hard way, by ignoring him & playing dead. Eventually he got the message but it took months instead of weeks.

I would love to see a picture of your cat! 😻
u can be sure that once she is a little bit bigger I’ll get her spayed,I don’t want any surprises or even my cat feeling bad due to her heat.
The last meal they have it’s at 22:15 pm because once they’re doing eating they go to sleep and the annoying meowing starts at 8 am and goes through all the day but not the night (I’m thankful for that)
I am concerned about that because I already have a talkative cat and two cats meowing can wake me up even being a couple of rooms away 😂 I’m glad the siamese one is really silent

and here are all of my cats

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10:30 pm- 8 am is 9.5 hours! I would try leaving out dry food during the night. Cats are grazers or smackers. They don’t eat big meals. They nibble throughput the day. It might be worth an experiment to leave two bowls with some dry food in it before you go to sleep. It will at least help you tick things off the list of why she might be meowing.

The non stop meowing throughout the day. Do you reward that bad behavior? Have you tried setting up a routine and 2-4 short play breaks throughout the day? Do you have a catio or a secure window screen that they can look outside? Bird feeders (& squirrel feeders) help entertain cats. I always say that outside time is like Ritalin for hyper cats! My cat is a naughty terror (& cries more) if he doesn’t get his 2 hours of outside time every day! My first crazy hyper cat taught me that you have to tire their minds to tire their bodies!

If Jackie gets 1-2 short walks & 2 hours or more outside he is a sweet well behaved little guy!
7B6CCEC8-DCB0-4FA3-8A72-ADEC3403141D.jpeg