5 months I feel unloved

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All Cookie wants to do now is bloat herself by digging in opened cans of food and aggressively attacking me and everything else in the apartment. She just turned five months. Is this likely to go down or continue?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your girl is very much a still growing kitten. She needs quality wet food several times a day as well as unlimited access to dry food. If she seems too obsessed with food then she probably needs to be fed more.

At her age her natural instinct is to play hard, wrestle and yes attack. Since she doesn’t have another kitten she uses you as her playmate. She needs a stuffed toy or two that she can kick and wrestle with and she needs a long play session with a wand or a laser to wear out some of her energy. If she does try to bite or scratch you then give her a long loud hiss and walk away from her.

If you want cuddling and affection from her wait until she is asleep or very sleepy. At that point she will welcome cuddling and stroking and you can enjoy her quiet time.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
That's typical kitten behavior, eating, learning to hunt and kill, and causing general mayhem. She's still a baby, so her personality isn't set in stone. These behaviors will change and diminish over time, but for now, turn them into positive experiences for you both.
Put those attacks into toys, kick sticks, climbing cat trees, food puzzles etc.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding enough food? KIttens eat a lot. Ignore the feeding instructions on pet food labels for kittens. Many people feed several canned food meals daily and leave a bowl of dry food out for snacking on. Hangry kittens and cats will seek out food in your trash cans, counters, etc and may show aggressive and naughty behavior.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At 5 months old, she's about the equivalent of a 6-year-old child, and having dealt with two of those at the same time, pretty much, I can tell you that they eat incessantly, and have two gears...FULL SPEED AHEAD and dead to the world asleep.

Do feed her several times a day, a quality wet kitten food, with a good kibble available all the time. Approach her when she is settling in to nap (which will be often, cats...especially kittens...sleep A LOT!). Be patient and wait. You aren't unloved, you just have a rambunctious child in your house. But you are, in the end, the Source of All Good Things. She loves you, she just has more Life in her right now than her body can comfortably hold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww thanks for all the support! I've taken dry food out completely because it seems to regularly give her diarrhea. Her canned food is predominantly meat, without the flour additives that dry food has. She has been (at her own discretion) eating an entire bean can full of cat food a day because I work 8 hours a day during he week. haha If her tummy is still full when I get home I know she's gotten into the can of open food. Today I found it empty even though there were still two normal cat food cans full of it in the bottom when I left haha. Also I continually forget what age she actually is at because she's already the size of a fullgrown cat. She definitely just got a tower, but she isn't a fan unless I get her high on catnip haha