5 Month Old Rescue Kitten Feeding Amount?

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the site. We have a 5 month old rescue kitten we took in (Ramsey) and although he does have a upcoming vet appointment next month to be fully vetted and fixed I feel a little confused about his feedings. He seems like he is constantly hungry but I don't want him to become overweight either. I noticed he's eating way over the recommended amount. If I don't feed him 3oz at every meal (3x a day) he meows and Carry's on as if he's hungry and will try to get into the garbage can. We are feeding the friskies wet food pouches. He will not touch dry food. I've read kittens do t typically over eat. He is a fairly slim and extremely active kitten. Should I try a higher protein cat food? I've tried dropping the one feeding but he acts like he's starving so I added it back. He ears 8am-Noon and 6pm with blue buffalo cat treats once a day between the noon and 6pm feeding.

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right thing, and it is very hard for kittens to overeat. They seem always hungry because they are- they burn off everything as soon as they eat it! Feed him as much as he wants 3x a day, and always have some hard food available to him, even if he doesn't seem to care for it. When Dexter was smaller, we fed him the Fancy Feast Kitten pates and he LOVED them. They're quite affordable as well. Any food labeled "for kittens" or "for all life stages" should be fine for Ramsey. :)

When you get him neutered, his metabolism may slow down (that's what happened to Dexter) so just be aware of that!

Oh my word, he is SO. CUTE. I am biased towards the marmalade babies myself!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are eating machines so let your kitten eat as much food as he wants :agree: Since he won't eat dry food (smart cat :yess:) just provide plenty of wet / canned food when you can. You can even use a programmable timed feeder such as this one to provide meals when you can't be at home. Wet food is a cooked product so it can be left out all day. If you are concerned about spoiling, freeze a serving size of food and put the frozen block into the feeder. It will slowly defrost and stay fresher longer. Some feeders have an ice pack feature to keep food cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morticia_89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! He does seem to be good with the 3 meals a day. I just really wanted to make sure I wasn't over doing it!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds about right. Friskies makes 5.5oz cans, so you could give half a can 3 times a day (a can and a half per day).