5 Month Old Kitty's Stinky Breath

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my 5 mo kitten has started to change teeth a few weeks ago, however she never had bad breath. She exclusively eats raw food.

The past couple of days I have noticed that her breath literally smell like sh*t.
I looked in her mouth, she had a loose tooth, that she has lost by now, and some new teeth coming in.

However, she's quite avid and I cant hold her still to take a very close look, but it smells horrible.

Has anyone experienced this with her kitten?

I'm calling the vet tomorrow to ask for an opinion and might go by there, I thought maybe something is infected (teeth or intestinal).
Teething *seems* the obvious choice, but underlying diseases also could contribute to bad breath.

Not sure what I'm asking, but I'm looking for people that have had the same experience with their cats. I don't remember any of my other cars having this problem when their teeth were changing.

The only change in her diet is that next to the chicken, I added a bit of rabbit meat to her food this week, maybe that could be related ? Might be reaction to the rabbit meat / bacteria

She hasn't been vomiting, her stool looks as it always does, she's playful and active as she usually is, so the only change I notice is the breath

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is wise to take her to the vet. It could just the teething, maybe a stubborn tooth that wont come out. Are her gums red, it she scratching at her mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is wise to take her to the vet. It could just the teething, maybe a stubborn tooth that wont come out. Are her gums red, it she scratching at her mouth?
I haven't seen her scratching at her mouth, her gums don't seem abnormally red.
She does scratch her jaw a lot.

I'll be contacting the vet either way, a foul smell is never the standard

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its good that her gums are not red and they dont seem to bother her but an examination by the vet will pur yoyr mind at rest. Please let us know what your vet says

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its good that her gums are not red and they dont seem to bother her but an examination by the vet will pur yoyr mind at rest. Please let us know what your vet says
I re-checked more carefully now, and her gums are definitely red and inflamed, even bleeding at a spot where her new tooth is coming up and pushing against her milk tooth

Will give my vet a ring tomorrow

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats at 5 months had red and slightly swollen gums I put down to teething but turned out to be gingivitis. Hopefully yours is down to teething but its best to make sure. Start brushing if you can once the vet has checked her. There's lots of threads on the site about the best way to clean and its never too early to start.

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats at 5 months had red and slightly swollen gums I put down to teething but turned out to be gingivitis. Hopefully yours is down to teething but its best to make sure. Start brushing if you can once the vet has checked her. There's lots of threads on the site about the best way to clean and its never too early to start.

Thanks, will certainly do that!