5 Month Old Kitten With Struvite Crystals

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few weeks ago I had posted about my then 18 week old Siberian kitten having very soft to almost non-formed very smelly stools. Below is the link to the origional thread.

Kitten With Soft Smelly Stools

It turns out that he has a bacteria that produces urease and that is the likely culpret for the cause of the crystals and he has bacteria in his stomach/ lower digestive tract that causes his colon to spasm (the vet thinks the 2 are related). The vet has recomended that he be perminently on Hills c/d or Rayne RSS. Neither food is of great quality (Rayne uses only natural ingreadients for preservation and has a 2% higher protien content than Hills and uses potato products as compared to the corn and wheat used by Hills). My poor boy has had 2 shots of anti-biotics and seems to be doing well with more normaly formed stools (he still smells....), and has been using the litter boxes (except after getting home from the vet...he pooped in the BF's bathtub after they got home from his first antibiotic needle and then again in the BF's tub when I brought him home from getting his second antibiotic needle, he then pooped in the litter box that evening).

So the question is: Has anyone had experiance with bacteria that produces urease that resulted in struvite crystals and used somthing other then a "prescription diet"?

I have started to increase his wet food and introduce some well hydrated freeze dried raw foods with a low dose of pre and probiotics. Until I get the results of the follow up samples (not to be taken for a few more weeks) I won't compleatly keep him on the "prescription diet" as I'm concerned about his nutrition, between Nov 23-Dec 4 his weight went from 2.8kg to 3.33kg and he polished off 2/3 of a bag of Hills 1.8kg bag of dry food. Physicaly he grew bigger~ I was a way for most of that time and noticed that he was bigger then his sister when I got home, they were the same size when I left.

RadioactiveCatnip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really sorry, I'm at uni so I don't have much time right now to elaborate. But here is a link that really helped me sort out UTI issues with my cat just a couple months ago.
Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

I believe the website also has great information on why prescription diets are counter-intuitive. However, I was still concerned about whether by leaving out the prescription diet I won't somehow be doing justice to my cat's recovery - so I tried to make the best of it by making a mixture of 25% kibbles and 75% wet food (NOT FISH - has high ash/phosphorus/magnesium content that makes crystals worse). I also added approx. 60 ml of water into this so my cat would literally be licking up the food rather than eating it. Water is super important. You might want to start off with adding less water and then slowly increasing it to get your cat used to it. Also, pH levels (big role in crystal formation) spike when a cat has a big meal after a long time so it's probably best to give smaller meals throughout the day to keep it steady.

Wish I had the time to cite the references I came across when I was researching this, when I had the same problem with my cat, but I'm short on time unfortunately. Hope I gave you some info you can base off your own research/searches on.

Hope your little guy gets well soon and sending best wishes your way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.

I have the same feeling about doing my boy's recovery justice by not giving him some of the prescription food. I have read the article that you suggested and have been adding extra water to the wet food. Just before I went into work i started feeding both cats freeze dried raw as well as canned food as a primary food source and kibble as a snack food. My BF works odd hours and I work in a fly-in camp on a 2x2 week rotation so I always want somthing for them to eat since they are both kittens and are growing like weeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay, with a mostly wet food/ raw freeze dried diet (with some wet Hills c/d and Raine ssd every couple of days) my boy has a clean bill of health. :)