5+ month old kitten with loose stools

shrinkingviolet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, newbie here. I've been lurking around this site for a couple days now checking out topics and seeing if I could find some ideas or answers to my problem, but didn't find any topics like the issue I'm having, so here it goes.

Almost a couple months ago now, my fiance and I adopted an adorable kitten from the SPCA, named Venus. This is our first kitten. I have had cats before in the past (my fiance hasn't though), but never raised one this young, so it’s been an interesting (yet rewarding!) challenge since she is a girl with a personality bigger than her little self, hehe.

Anywho, since the day we got her she has had loose stools and off and on diarrhea. I’ve yet to see a firm stool from her and it's starting to really worry me. The first day we got her, she had very watery diarrhea, where she'd leave little trails of runny poop on her way to the litter box. Plus she had the most rancid smelling gas -- almost smelled like sulfur. The woman at the SPCA told us a few days prior she had gotten dewormed, so she suspects that's why she had the diarrhea. That first week I started giving her pumpkin, after the vet had suggested it when we took her to get her checkup. She also got a stool test done, which came back negative for any worms, parasites, or bacteria overgrowth.  Along with the pumpkin I had started giving her a little bit of plain yogurt (1/8 - 1/4 tsp. per day) to give her some probiotics. The combination did help bulk her a little, where the poop trails and watery diarrhea stopped, but the rancid gas and loose stools persisted.

Come the second week, we started making the transition to a grain-free kitten formula. She was eating Purina ONE Chicken Kitten Formula, and then we started mixing it with Nature's Recipe Salmon and Potato for all stages. I was still including the pumpkin and the yogurt, but her stools and smelly gas never improved.

Week 3: She started going back to having diarrhea, so I stopped the yogurt, then the pumpkin. I also started giving her less of the Purina and more of the grain-free. Her stools firmed up a little and never had diarrhea again. Gas was still the same.

Week 4: Still the same soft stools and gas.

Week 5 (this past week): She is 100% grain-free. I ended up starting her on another grain-free food, Simply Nourish Chicken & Turkey Kitten Formula, as I ran out of the Nature's Recipe and it wasn't available at the time when I went to the store. Her stools have been the same, except last night she was close to having diarrhea again and it stunk even worse than normal. However, her gas has been subsiding.

I should also note that she goes to the bathroom multiple times a day. Probably poops around 3 - 4 times, same amount with urination. It's to the point that we're cleaning her litter box every single day, and it stinks so bad that we're spraying air freshener, except it's only masking the smell. Is it normal for her to go this much?

I’m at a loss of what to do or what’s going on. Is this a phase? Possible food intolerance? Should I get another stool test done to see if anything shows up that may have been missed the first time around? Another thing that leads me to suspecting it’s a possible food intolerance is that she’s started to get the occasional itch in and around her ears, always in the same spots, but they do look okay. Aside from this problem, she is still as lively as ever. She sleeps, eats, and plays and even drinks plenty of water throughout the day. 

I have to say I'm hesitant on sending her to the vet again right away, as I really don't want more drugs thrown at her (she was also treated multiple times for ringworm and worms a few months prior to us adopting her) and a possible huge vet bill for something that may be simple.

Sorry this is long, but thanks for hearing me out. :) Any advice is appreciated!

tnhand1022

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little kitty! How stressful. Super stinky poops does sound like a food intolerance. My poor babies had terrible worms when I got them at 8 weeks. Marky Mark recovered just fine, but Donnie continued to have intermittent vomiting & poop problems for a couple of months. My vet said worms can be really hard on some kittens. He treated with anti-emetic and anti-diarrhea meds, and I switched them to limited ingredient foods.

I swear by Natural Balance Limited Ingredient canned foods. I initially bought a can of each to see who liked what. All stomach problems went away, even the super-stinky poops and farts! I supplemented with chicken hearts & gizzards, which I cut up with scissors. I still feed it to them once a day - can't beat $2 per lb! They also love their greens, and munch on raw spinach leaves. If they ever get loose stools I mix a little pumpkin in their wet food.

That's what worked for me. Good luck with your little one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shrinkingviolet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!

I've avoided canned cat food because I was afraid it would make the diarrhea/soft stools worse, but I guess that isn't the case? Or at least with quality brands? I like the idea of chicken gizzards and hearts too. I even eat those myself.

If this is a food intolerance, how would I go about an elimination diet?

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten had super stinky loose poo,after vets telling me all her fecals were negative so it must be diet then someone suggested checking for tritrichomonas foetus and it turns out that's what she had.regular fecals don't screen for TF AND stinky,loose stool in otherwise healthy cat is one of the symptoms. look at this and see if your kitty has symptoms of TF. TF is treatable with meds. http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/doc/personnel/gookin_jody.html  

Last edited:

shrinkingviolet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, mspurr. I have never heard of this before, and I think it's obvious why, since it's not exactly something that shows up on a lot of tests. Unfortunately your link didn't work, but I did Google it and a lot of the information I read is pretty much on point to a T to what she's experiencing. I'm curious -- since I'm very much an advocate of natural treatments -- would this be something that could be tackled with daily doses of coconut oil? I do have a vet appointment coming up next week for her FIV booster, I could also call ahead then and talk to the vet about this and see if she could give me any medicine for it. Until then, should I maybe give some coconut oil a try since it is a good antimicrobial?

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the only treatmen/curet for tritrichomonas foetus is ronidazole. but if you choose not to treat with ronidazole cats usually resolve in 9mos-2 years but  may remain carriers. I treated my cat with ronidazole and never saw any adverse effects.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S shrinkingviolet there is nothing to lose but some time if you want to try a natural method. This has worked for several people's kitties that I know of first hand, though the PCR test did not find anything. Unfortunately, false negatives are not uncommon, and numerous people on TCS have had to run the PCR test up to four times to find the little bugs.

Ignore the title: read the article. :) It is for protozoa, not just giardia. http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/giardia-natural-treatment-protocol/

One kitty that received this treatment and responded to it completely in Norway is being written up as a case study by his vet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As to food, cats being obligate carnivores definitely affects their dietary need and the foods on which they will thrive.

I feed my cats raw.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat
part 2: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat-part-2

Diet is the brick and mortar of health. I don't eat dry cereal to stop diarrhea, I fast for 24 hours and drink bone broth. And I sure wouldn't want to live on dry cereal or canned stew only. I feel much better when I eat fresh foods...

Http://www.catinfo.org (written by a vet).

shrinkingviolet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great links, LDG! Those were very informative, thank you! When I have more time away from college and homework, I'm definitely going to give them another read.

I had no idea about water content vs. dry food consumption. Makes sense. I do have to go to the store this week for a few things, I think I'll look into buying some quality canned food while I'm out. I've read about going raw with cats before, but I was always hesitant about it, as I always thought it’d be costly in the long run to go 100% raw. Going partially raw with her someday might be an idea, however. My fiance and I are both very healthy people, we always like to know where our food comes from. Eating locally raised meat is something we've always done.

As far as her loose stools go, I'll call the vet ahead of time, probably this week, to change her appointment to more of a consultation/visit. I'll withhold the coconut oil too until then.

shrinkingviolet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took Venus to the vet today. She got her booster and I discussed with the vet about her soft stool and tritrichomonas. She actually ruled it out. Mostly because she doesn't have diarrhea constantly and because she's been having some itching and sneezing and has had a crusty nose. We started talking food intolerances and she suspects it may be that. She also suspected she may need some more probiotics to help with the stools as well. Starting tomorrow we're going to start her on the probiotic we got today (Purina FortiFlora) and also try to look for a new food for her. I've never had a cat with a possible food allergy/intolerance, so this is going to be extremely tricky and challenging to pinpoint. Right now we're looking at avoiding chicken and fish.

Has anyone had any experience in doing an elimination diet with cats? What is your cat allergic/intolerant to?