5 Month old Kitten Sick and Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hey all a little tentative update on Jerry, in case anyone is still wondering. 

He came home once about a week ago and by the next morning I knew he wasn't better. He was too anemic. The vet called me before I had a chance to call her saying she wanted to continue treatment and she managed to get me a scholarship. So he went back.  

On Monday I picked him up again, and he was doing much better, but over the course of the day he threw up multiple times and I knew he wasn't well. It seemed like the toxins were not being eliminated by his kidneys. 

The vet met me at the hospital at about 11pm and I was intending to put him down. He didn't need to suffer anymore, and I couldn't possibly continue treatment because of my financial situation.  

As a last stitch effort the vet decided to run his kidney  numbers one more time (for free) and they were actually better. She is convinced she can help him and has taken him to her house and is caring for him free of charge.  

On Friday we'll check his numbers again and see where we stand.  If his quality of life is going to be ruined I do not think it is a good idea to just prolong his life.  I tried my best and it may very well be out of my hands now. 
Oh my I know how hard this can be. I am saying prayers for you and Jerry.

HUGS

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a stressful and difficult situation you're in, but you've done all that you can and your vet is a saint!  I'm praying that he pulls through this and he's able to come home with you again.  Please keep us updated.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, how absolutely wonderful of this vet to take this little one under her wing. His chances are greatly improved with this vet in his corner.

Lots of positive vibes and warm thoughts

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of course we are wondering, and have been worrying over Jerry, hoping that he has been hanging in there.  It's good news that his kidney values are improving.   Please do keep us posted on his condition.  Did you sign him over to your Vet completely, or is this just temporary? 

Continued vibes that he makes a full recovery

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hey all a little tentative update on Jerry, in case anyone is still wondering. 

He came home once about a week ago and by the next morning I knew he wasn't better. He was too anemic. The vet called me before I had a chance to call her saying she wanted to continue treatment and she managed to get me a scholarship. So he went back.  

On Monday I picked him up again, and he was doing much better, but over the course of the day he threw up multiple times and I knew he wasn't well. It seemed like the toxins were not being eliminated by his kidneys. 

The vet met me at the hospital at about 11pm and I was intending to put him down. He didn't need to suffer anymore, and I couldn't possibly continue treatment because of my financial situation.  

As a last stitch effort the vet decided to run his kidney  numbers one more time (for free) and they were actually better. She is convinced she can help him and has taken him to her house and is caring for him free of charge.  

On Friday we'll check his numbers again and see where we stand.  If his quality of life is going to be ruined I do not think it is a good idea to just prolong his life.  I tried my best and it may very well be out of my hands now. 
In case anyone is wondering.....we have all been wondering, hoping for the best of course, fearing the worst. Despite advising over the net, many members here feel personal involvement, that stays with us. We really do care!  

It's a good sign that his kidney values are better, although it may be due to the constant iv fluids given now too.

There is still the underlying issue here, of course as you are well aware. 

The vet care he is getting is exceptional, and regardless of the outcome, it must be a great relief knowing that this amazing, caring dr. is going out of her way to help him. What a saint!  

Constantly thinking of your baby and you, sending positive vibes and big hugs. 

Please keep us up to date on how things are going, we are all here for you.

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and lots of vibes to you and little Jerry.
It's wonderful that you have such a great vet that is willing to take him into her home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teresaandjerry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: 

Jerry came home last night. His energy levels are good/ok, but his numbers went up again.

My vet and I are in agreement that we are just going to give him plenty of water bowls and wet food. If he pulls through, he will, but if he doesn't then that's just the way of it. 

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Update: 

Jerry came home last night. His energy levels are good/ok, but his numbers went up again.

My vet and I are in agreement that we are just going to give him plenty of water bowls and wet food. If he pulls through, he will, but if he doesn't then that's just the way of it. 
Oh that is good news I hope he continues to improve.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The bottom line seems to be, "what ever will be will be".

Not alot more you can do at this point.

Just lots of love and babying, and we are all pulling for this little one.

Please continue with updates, we will be watching for them.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that he is back at home .. Some time together can only be a good thing for both of you. Continued positive vibes

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad Jerry's home with you.  I know you love him dearly and he knows that, too.  Praying for the best for this little guy; he's certainly a fighter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teresaandjerry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We put Jerry down this evening. 

Thank you all for your advice and support. Receiving such kindness from strangers has helped so much. 

I'm never going to forget my little man. 

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Extremely sad that you did that
What an angelic kitty

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We put Jerry down this evening. 

Thank you all for your advice and support. Receiving such kindness from strangers has helped so much. 

I'm never going to forget my little man. 
My heart just sunk..........................I am so sorry. Very sad for your loss. I think you probably know this, but when we help and advise, we do get involved. It's impossible not to.

Yet still being able to see the whole picture from an outside standpoint, which told me it wasn't good.

You did everything humanly possible for him, and he knows this, he always knew. He always knew he was loved dearly, and wanted very much.

It's tragic how his life was cut short like that, I feel your pain.

Hugs, please come here for support, talk about it. It will help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, I'm so very sorry to read this.  My heart is breaking with you.  You are such a good pet parent and did everything you could for him.  He was so fortunate to have you to love him.  Please post a remembrance thread for him in the Crossing the Bridge forum so we can share your sorrow. 

Status
Not open for further replies.