5 Month Old Kitten Face Grooming

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten, Emma. I am a first time kitten mom! This isn’t really a concern, just a question. She seems to be really good at grooming her body, but her face and paws often look like she went to kitty war. Those are both parts of her body that are pure white, and they get a little dingy. I am assuming that this is probably because she is so young and still learning? Just wanted to make sure this was all part of the growing up process! We do also have hardwood floors, so no matter how often we clean they are still not perfect.

On a side note, I got a brush for her today, and brushed her for the first time. I was worried she would be nervous, so first I put the brush in the ground so she could check it out, rather than me just coming at her with an unknown object. She actually seemed to love it, and was purring and looking at me for more. I didn’t want to overdo it, so I just did the top and sides of her body. She actually loves to have her belly rubbed, she stretches all the way out and purrs and falls asleep. I just want to make sure that this doesn’t scare her at all, so also just looking for. Advice on brushing the bottom part of her body.

Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just a bit sloppier than others, so nothing to worry about. :) Usually, it’s the flat-faced cats who have some trouble keeping food off their face, but, as with everything, there’s going to be individual variation. Emma might still get better at grooming herself as she gets older. You can wipe off her face and paws with a warm, damp cloth. It’s easier to get her accustomed to grooming rituals now rather than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just a bit sloppier than others, so nothing to worry about. :) Usually, it’s the flat-faced cats who have some trouble keeping food off their face, but, as with everything, there’s going to be individual variation. Emma might still get better at grooming herself as she gets older. You can wipe off her face and paws with a warm, damp cloth. It’s easier to get her accustomed to grooming rituals now rather than later.
Great, thank you for the advice. I wonder if it was also the cat litter I have been using, I just switched to one with less dust.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It appears to me that you have a cat that's delighted with the attention more than anything. Try brushing the harder to reach areas when she's asleep...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears to me that you have a cat that's delighted with the attention more than anything. Try brushing the harder to reach areas when she's asleep...
Yes! I could also do it when she is one of her sleepy, floppy moods. Knowing her she will probably roll over fully awake for it after a few times!