5 month old fixed kitten doesn't clean his back and jumps around on furniture with wet urine onhis b

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He never cleans himself right after using the litter box. And whenever i am around i always notice urine behind him after he comes out of the litter box. He's 5 months old i am not sure if he'll ever lick himself clean. I used to change the sheets 3-4times (everytime i would notice wet urine stain on them) but now i am just tired of changing sheets so many times. What should i do? Keep changing the sheets or stop looking at the spots my kitten sits on after peeing (deliberately ignoring the filth)?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried wiping him clean after he comes out of the litter box? Even if you can't do it every time, he might get the idea and start cleaning himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried wiping him clean after he comes out of the litter box? Even if you can't do it every time, he might get the idea and start cleaning himself.
Yes i have been doing that since i first brought him home. He was 8 weeks old then and it's been almost 3 months :( but he simply does not get the point!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how mother cats teach this? I know that when kittens are still small they use their tongues to stimulate urination, and clean it up at the same time, but what about later, when they're teaching how to use the litter box?

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never known a cat who was wet after peeing (and most cats don't lick themselves right after using the litterbox). If he's squatting properly he should remain dry. Have you brought it to the vet's attention? Maybe he has a physical abnormality that could be corrected or at least compensated for. If he's a longhair, a sanitary trim might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he has long hair. i got him trimmed and that seems to be helping! thank you :)