5 month old bully - will neutering make a difference?

ddpb2112

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've had our new kitten for about 10 weeks now. He's between 5/6 months old and have finally grown larger than our adult cat (she is a runt...6 1/2 lbs). She's hated him since day one and mostly just avoids him. His antics were always very playful and submissive until recently. I think he's asserting dominance now. If he sees her moving towards the cat tower, he will quickly jump up to the top ahead of her and guard the high ground. If she's laying on the ground he'll often approach her, stand as tall as he can over he and just kind of stare her down. Still, he's playful and they don't hurt one another. So it's about time to make the appointment to neuter him early next month. And so I was just curious if I should expect to see any behavior changes between them.

Thanks

noracatowner101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I believe your cat is now turning sexually mature and that he now turning into a grown male. My male cat is also in this stage. My cat is planned to hopefully get neutered this upcoming week or sooner. Yes, neutering will end this dilemma and will make him more calmer, and I recommend to get him neutered as soon as possible. Try to interact/play with both of them together, and let them try to play w/ each other until the neuter. 

Hope this helps :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd be making that appointment sooner rather than later as it can be hard to undo 'tom' behaviour patterns. 

And if he does need to be neutered it can take quite a while for the hormones to subside after the procedure.

So my advice is, yes, it could easily change his behaviour, and to do it asap!