5 Month Kitten Has Crusty Bum

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my kitten has just been spayed last Wednesday; I don't think it's relevant but still.

Yesterday and today, I've found a some poo crusts stuck on her and every time I try and touch it with some baby wipes, she moves away. I'm not sure if it hurts but it's stuck to her hairs which may be why she's kind of avoiding any touching there. Any tips?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Do you have some blunt end scissors? I'd wait 'til she's asleep, and snip them off.
A mention for future reference :), if you don't have them, you'll want wipes such as earthbath, pampers Aqua Pur, or seventh generation - products with no chemicals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Do you have some blunt end scissors? I'd wait 'til she's asleep, and snip them off.
A mention for future reference :), if you don't have them, you'll want wipes such as earthbath, pampers Aqua Pur, or seventh generation - products with no chemicals.
I do have some blunt scissors but she somehow always wakes when I try and do something. I'll have to wait till she's literally out for the count to try.I'll find those wipes (or the UK equivalent) incase the scissors don't work out; right now, i've been using sensitive baby wipes.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a warm wet cloth rather than a wipe. It will loosen the poop better so it is easier to wipe or get off. If you can’t tuck her under your arm and put her hind end under the faucet.

I would also mix a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin into wet food for her. It will help firm up her poops so hopefully no future crusty butt.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that a very wet warm cloth will work better than wipes. I would be very careful though not to get her spay site wet, that might not be a good thing!

Pumpkin is also a good thing. some kittens have more problem with this than others, and she may not be able to groom right now, is she wearing a cone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that a very wet warm cloth will work better than wipes. I would be very careful though not to get her spay site wet, that might not be a good thing!

Pumpkin is also a good thing. some kittens have more problem with this than others, and she may not be able to groom right now, is she wearing a cone?
She kicked off her cone within 5 minutes of being home. It was way too big in that I could fit 3 fingers and I've tried to put it on once a day but eventually, I let her not wear it since she'd hide when I try and put it on her. I've not let her touch it though however tempting it is for her