5 kittens who are 4 weeks old

Alley1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 kittens I been trying to bottle feed for about 2 days now and I can't seem to get them to accept it .. all 5 refuse to open their mouths or even try to sick on the nipple.. and the mom is running out of milk to feed all of them... What can I do .I have tried everything with them..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Kittens with a mom rarely accept a bottle. You’ll need a syringe or dropper. A pharmacy will give you a small, 1 or 2 mL needleless syringe for free.

Here is a video that shows you how to feed the kittens with a syringe. You do not need a nipple on the end of the syringe.

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Let us know how it goes! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alley1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are 4 weeks old .. the mom is getting where she pushes them away

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s because they have their baby teeth and it may hurt a little when they nurse.

You can try feeding them with the syringe, but you can also begin introducing wet food. Mix a little formula into pate (no chunks or shreds) so that it’s soupy, and put it on a flat plate or saucer. Show it to them or let them lick it off your finger. You can also soften kitten chow with formula. Most kittens begin weaning by 5 or 6 weeks, but some learn earlier.

Alley1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s because they have their baby teeth and it may hurt a little when they nurse.

You can try feeding them with the syringe, but you can also begin introducing wet food. Mix a little formula into pate (no chunks or shreds) so that it’s soupy, and put it on a flat plate or saucer. Show it to them or let them lick it off your finger. You can also soften kitten chow with formula. Most kittens begin weaning by 5 or 6 weeks, but some learn earlier.
Thank you so much.. when they wake up I'm gonna try bc mom left the room doing her own thing.. I hope this works..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you cannot syringe formula and they will not eat the wet food yet, then they still must nurse mom regardless.

This means you must close mom in a room with the kittens several times a day long enough each time for all the kittens to nurse sufficiently.

I would suggest doing this for at least another week to ten days as they are young to fully wean yet. You can continue offering them food or a dish of formula. At some point (around 5-6 weeks old) they will begin eating.

Please keep us posted!

Alley1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you cannot syringe formula and they will not eat the wet food yet, then they still must nurse mom regardless.

This means you must close mom in a room with the kittens several times a day long enough each time for all the kittens to nurse sufficiently.

I would suggest doing this for at least another week to ten days as they are young to fully wean yet. You can continue offering them food or a dish of formula. At some point (around 5-6 weeks old) they will begin eating.

Please keep us posted!
The mom and kittens stay in a room together on and off all day except at night we lock her in room with them... But she won't let them she just walks off... I finally got them to eat thru a syringe a lil while ago..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Offer a shallow dish of KMR, and some canned kitten food mixed with KMR in a different dish. They should get the idea fairly quickly if they aren't nursing anymore. They're old enough to lap on their own and shouldn't need a bottle or syringe.

Do they seem hungry and upset? If not, they may be nursing enough to satisfy them