5 day old kitten constipated or?

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 day old kitten that is on KMR.
I don't know if the mother had enough milk and I took him with me over the weekend for work as he was looking dehydrated. I took him Friday and he is eating well and gaining now instead of losing. He drinks well and pees but no poop so far. He was 3 days old when I took him with me. The vet said just a drop or two of olive oil in his feedings of milk.
So far nothing. How long will it take to work? TIA

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make it 2-3 drops. Be sure he is well hydrated.
What KMR do you use, this in powder or this premade liquid?
The premade liquid is more uneven then the in powder.

But occasionally its wise to change the brand, even from the usually reliable KMR in powder. The best alternative is often a kmr based on goats milk, alike these made by GNC, or even goats milk... Raw goats milk is very good. But for exemple, Meyenbergs goats milk in powder is OK.

another tip may be; you take such a glycerine cone alike for humans with constipation. You cut off a thin sliver, and put inte the behind. If there is a hard constipation, it should loose it up within a hour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is a holiday here. I was gonna call a vet and maybe take him in but he is 6 days and not sure of his chances.
It is powder kmr I use.
I have some daily boosters goats milk powder. More like a probiotic. It does not show for use under 1 pound weight.
I tried bathing his bum in warm water several times. Rub is tummy not touching umbilical area as mother chewed it a bit short.
Stimulating with dry Kleenex or warm water on makeup pads. I have restoralax which I think is like miralax.
I have olive oil. It's been friday noon till now sunday 3 in the morning and still no poop. He takes avg 3 cc's of kmr per meal. I almost think he is taking a bit less than at some previous meals.

I do have children's glycerin I can shave off a bit but it seems hard and sharp will it help or harm? Do you warm under water or in hand or ky jelly ?
If I did go to a vet would he have much chance. 6 days is pretty iffy.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this above but have not given him any. I give him this kmr pictured below. I have powder pedialyte but its apple flavour. I read the new stuff in stores has too much zinc now. So not sure if I should buy some if he starts getting dehydrated. Can I make my own?
20210524_032115.jpg

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mixed up a home made pedialyte that I found the mixture on this site and fed him some warm and straight. Maybe I should mix his kmr with it instead of plain water. I am a bit afraid of using too much olive oil. Is it safe? I think with syringe feeding it may not mix well and ends up last in the syringe and not really in him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a tiny sliver of glycerin. Warm it under the water first. It should bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes after stimulating. The KMR or goat powder are equally good. Keep adding the oil. I think he needed to get hydrated. It’s not uncommon for kittens to get constipated when first on KMR. The vet would only do an enema, so use the glycerin. He should be fine!

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay an inch long brown poop and a good pee as well. Now do I do pedialyte in place of water for formula? Olive oil?Any special care?
Thank you for the replies, not sure when the next poop will be but hopefully sooner than 3 days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! Mixing with water is fine unless he is dehydrated or ill. Continue to use oil drops. Also continue feeding every 2 hours and weighing daily.

Is he with mom and siblings between feedings?

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are no siblings. I will try to reintroduce back, but since it had not pooped and I was trying all these things plus was on the road yesterday, I wanted to see proof of poo.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay an inch long brown poop and a good pee as well. Now do I do pedialyte in place of water for formula? Olive oil?Any special care?
Thank you for the replies, not sure when the next poop will be but hopefully sooner than 3 days.
Pedialyte as such is no especial remedy for constipation. Pedialyte is good for the other problem; if there is heavy diarrhea or much vomiting. Or if you by any reason think he needs more salts. This is true for humans too!

So mixing out the powder KMR with pedialyte good if he has diarrhea, or if you want to give some extra calories - because there is some glucose sugar in pedialyte.

But if you want to just hydrate a little more, and give some extra drops fluids, pedialyte is better than plain water - it contains after all both salts AND glucose. So if he is less hungry because of this extra water, and doesnt wants as much kmr, he will be somewhat compensated by this pedialyte.

Best pedialyte is such flavorless for human babies.

but its fully possible to make a basic version at home - which you apparently did and had success with.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
this goat milk probiotic seems terrific, seen as a probiotic.

But if it is OK for cat infants, I dont know. Its a new product for me.
There are lotsa of ingredients. If the situation were desperate I would say: pray and try, but in a non desperate situation I would listen to the label. Which says, no infants....

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the kitten was getting dehydrated again yesterday as it looked plumper before. I did the pinch test and decided to use home made pedialyte in the kmr. I think things are back to normal just not sure about pooping next.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten is doing well and had brown poop slightly dry that today changed to pale yellow and curdled looking bits in it. It is sticky and sticks to her hair and tail.
I Cut back on kmr and adding more water right now. What is causing this?
She..yes it is a she not he as first mentioned, has been feeding quite fast with the syringe, gulping it.
She is 2 weeks old, I could switch to a bottle now I guess.
Anything I should do to get poop the normal brown?? I have amoxicillin on hand dry ready to mix if needed.
TIA

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Formula poop is usually yellow and toothpaste consistency. Her poop will turn brown when she is old enough to eat wet and dry food. If her poop is brownish and harder on formula it is because she is slightly dehydrated.

Do not dilute the formula. She needs all the nutrition she can get. I would switch to a bottle. Let her have as much as she wants.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is pooping too often. So something is up, I will try the bottle switch soon though. Poop was firm and brown because of formula and she was constipated the last 2 weeks off and on.
Now Poop is paler yellow with tiny cheese curds in it. It is super sticky and hard to wash off. Everytime I check her or go to feed she has a bit of poo stuck to her.
Watching kitten Lady videos and am swapping out water for homemade pedialyte again. She acts hungry but is not drinking much the last two feedings. Well hydrated so far but she def has tummy troubles though.
Can she get deworming at 2 weeks?
Kitten lady says 2, 4 and 6 weeks...

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back to normal, switched to a bottle and poop is normal upon stimulating instead of just coming out on it's own.