5-6 Month Old Kitten Restless + Clingy After Spaying?

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The surgery was Friday (three days ago). I'm keeping her separate from her siblings and the other cats in my room. I was told that she did very well in surgery and I was so proud of her. At first she was incredibly hyper when she got home. She kept running around the room and smelling everything. I figured maybe because it was her first time ever outside the home and she was happy to be back and safe as she had been somewhat frightened during the trip. She also had excessive hunger and went straight for her emptied bowl of food. I gave her half a bowl in turn because I wanted her to calm down and be happy. She started munching away like mad and it was surprising because I was informed that usually cats lose their appetite after surgery??? She also kept trying to take off her ecollar and did successfully so, but then eventually I got it to stay on... later on that night all that energy she used took a toll on her and she went into a deep sleep. I was afraid because it was so easy to move her and I thought something was wrong with her... but then she woke up eventually to drink some water and was fine. She didn't go poo at all that day after she returned though... she kept going in the litter box and trying but nothing ever happened. Thankfully the next day she did!

Now the thing is, I sleep on a high bed, and she is constantly trying to jump up to me. She refuses to step into the carrier to sleep at all... even though its been open and feels rather comfy. I'm assuming this is also because she associates it with the stress of being outdoors. Anyhow, I have to keep getting up to put her on my bed when she looks like she's about to jump there. Or put her down if shes trying to jump down. She doesn't know what she wants sometimes and can be quite hyper. She's also always trying to escape the room now whenever I open the door. She's very clingy and follows me EVERYWHERE around the room so I give her my affection whenever I can... When she heals I kind of want to train her to set boundaries because she doesn't understand the word no and I hate spraying her with the spray bottle so I just stopped doing it. But she'll walk all over my desk and work space... bookshelves and even my pillow sometimes. She ran up to me to steal my oatmeal even though I had food in her bowl and I cannot eat or work in peace LOL. Often wants to play too though I have to stop her.

I don't know how to control her and I'm worried to leave her when I have to go back to school tomorrow. I was thinking about buying a cage online to leave her in with food and water and a bed... but that feels so harsh :/ I don't want her to go crazy and feel trapped.... but I also don't want her to rip her incision or mess up the room. She will ONLY sleep in my bed. I can get her to sleep there for maybe 2-7 hours if I'm in it, and sometimes she'll sleep in it alone if she tires out from trying to get my attention.

I think she's probably depressed because she keeps eating a lot too... Should I take her food away from her and moderate it or...? And I can't keep her in any other room as there is only the living room and the bathroom (but the other cats occupy both of those spaces; read my previous/first thread if you're concerned).

Finally, is any of this "normal"? And does her wound look alright? I keep checking it fearing that there's something wrong with it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There will be other members weighing in but for the short term you need to know from the vet of you can feed her all that she wants, and also if they have suggestions of how to contain her while you're out.
You could try setting up steps by the bed so she can get up and down on her own but if she's like my cat she'll ignore those...

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! Really, all of that behavior seems pretty normal for a kitten after spaying. Keeping her from jumping is very important, to prevent seromas and issues with the incision, but I know that taming a ramunctious kitten is difficult! If you have an extra small room, a closet, or larger dog crate that you can leave her in while you're gone, that could work. It wouldn't be as restrictive as the carrier, but she'd still be contained. She will sleep eventually if left alone in the small room. Take out anything she can jump on, leave food (as much as she wants at this point,) water, litter box, and soft blanekts for her. It won't be for long, and afterwards she'll be back to playing crazily, lol.

If you're unsure about her incision at all, take her back to the vet. Generally, if there isn't excessive swelling, redness, or heat, you probably don't have much to worry about. Keep us posted!