4yr Old Fixed Brothers Fighting, But With Strange Circumstances.

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats used to fight but got over it. Now the aggressor hisses and growls at the other but only on and off. It’s not a typical situation where they can’t be in same room. They usually are fine together, eat, sleep, play just fine. But sometimes he will flip a switch like Jekyll and Hyde and start hissing, growling, stalking, chasing him etc. the fights aren’t serious, just swatting and posturing, growling. But still it’s strange.

I feel like the usual tactics don’t apply. Like separating them, reintroducing slowly, sharing brush, treats etc because they are fine a lot of the time. He will even groom and cuddle him on occasion. It’s just at certain times, every night, the switch flips and he acts like his brother is the enemy.

I’m not sure how to approach this odd phase. They already fought for dominance a couple years ago and established that and got over it and coexisted just fine til now.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe this is just rough brotherly play with a little bit of the growling/hissing thrown in to stir things up or tell the other to leave him alone. If there was bloodshed I would be concerned but if they play and groom and cuddle sometimes there is likely nothing to worry about. If it increases I would get them both checked out at the vet, sometimes if one cat is ill (remember they can be ill long before you realize it since they hide it as much as possible) the other will pick on it due it it smelling and acting different. It doesn't sound like you are at that point yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do believe this is just rough brotherly play with a little bit of the growling/hissing thrown in to stir things up or tell the other to leave him alone. If there was bloodshed I would be concerned but if they play and groom and cuddle sometimes there is likely nothing to worry about. If it increases I would get them both checked out at the vet, sometimes if one cat is ill (remember they can be ill long before you realize it since they hide it as much as possible) the other will pick on it due it it smelling and acting different. It doesn't sound like you are at that point yet.
This is something that I have suspected, that he is just being a jerk and a bit of a weirdo. Still it’s just a bit off putting. Like he might just walk up, give a quick growl then walk away. Or he might swat at him with no noise and walk away, or claw the ground in front of him. Kind of like a prick older brother with a younger sibling.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two 15 year olds who grew up together and a 13 year old they came to live with 2 years ago and someone is always a little bully and will intentionally walk right up to the other, smack her, and walk away. No reason, no prevoking, just being a brat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 15 year olds who grew up together and a 13 year old they came to live with 2 years ago and someone is always a little bully and will intentionally walk right up to the other, smack her, and walk away. No reason, no prevoking, just being a brat.
Yea he will do that sometimes but it’s the times where he growls and yowls that is alarming. It’s just strange how he can go from butt sniffing and hanging out normally to growling and yowling the next.