4mth old kitten STILL fearful!

mainecoonmommmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI everyone! My family purchased our very first Maine Coon to show about 2 months ago! She is beautiful and my entire family LOVES her! BUT she is the most fearful, shy cat that I've ever met! Even after 2 months, she still hides all day. She will only come out late at night to play with our other 2 cats. She gets along very well with our other cats and plays with them well.

I just don't know what to do! She is suppose to be in a show at the end of March. But I'm not sure it's worth bringing her! Please help! I have NO idea how to get through to her! Above all, we want a happy, comfortable-wth-people cat!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
put her in a room, go in there every day for multiple times a day about  10 or 15 minutes a time, lay or sit down and wait for her to come to you so she will learns on her own terms that you are trustworthy and she can loves you. let her sniff your hand before petting her. after she pretty comfortable you can open the door and let her out, don't force her out, let her choose whether or not she wants to come out of the room. also keep treats on you so you can give her treats. for a example  if she let you pet her give her a treat. she will associate the petting with something positive. 

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

HI everyone! My family purchased our very first Maine Coon to show about 2 months ago! She is beautiful and my entire family LOVES her! BUT she is the most fearful, shy cat that I've ever met! Even after 2 months, she still hides all day. She will only come out late at night to play with our other 2 cats. She gets along very well with our other cats and plays with them well.

I just don't know what to do! She is suppose to be in a show at the end of March. But I'm not sure it's worth bringing her! Please help! I have NO idea how to get through to her! Above all, we want a happy, comfortable-wth-people cat!
Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately this is not unusual, seems we've been seeing this alot here lately.

Breeders are neglecting the fact that kittens must be socialized and not simply seen once a day for cleaning.

This causes them to be very shy, and even once she adapts and learns to trust you, she will remain very shy around strangers, which means not good for shows sadly.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is your home like?  Do you have children running around or is it just adults?  Is the neighborhood quiet or do big trucks go by all day?  I agree with the posters above but wondering if the atmosphere might be causing her to be shy & hide.  Some kitties are more sensitive than others.  Plus, the breeder may have keep mom & kittens in a cage all day & she may not be used to household noises.  I agree with letting her set her own terms of interaction until she knows she is safe.