4month old kitten with diarrhea

tinzeal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have a kitten Pasha who started having really liquid poop on Friday morning this week. We gave him plenty of water and small bits of boiled chicken to eat, he then vomited three times that night and then had several more bouts of diarrhea. We took him to the vets the next day where they gave him a shot to stop him vomiting and gave us some purina gastrointestinal food. It's Monday now and the diarrhea hasn't stopped. He goes to the litter box frequently and poops small amounts, we have to clean him off every time which as you can imagine is quite exhausting especially when we have to get up a lot in the middle of the night. I'm not sure whether to be worried yet or if it's normal for it to take several days to resolve? I've had several cats but never one with this issue. The vet said he had no intestinal blockages and his temperature was normal, plus his behaviour hasn't changed at all - he's very chipper and playful, so I know I shouldn't get too worried just yet, but I had assumed that it might start to clear up already. Any advice/reassurance would be really appreciated!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given his extremely young age, I would call the vet and let him know that the diarrhea has not stopped. You have made one visit, so it is possible that the vet may prescribe something without having to go in a second time.

Lots of things can cause diarrhea, or cause it to continue. Food allergies, even a change in food to a new diet, parasites, viruses, etc. It sounds as if the vet tried to treat at the most basic level, which many do as a first step, but it is not resolving itself.

Diarrhea — Kitten Lady
This information from the Kitten Lady may be helpful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinzeal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given his extremely young age, I would call the vet and let him know that the diarrhea has not stopped. You have made one visit, so it is possible that the vet may prescribe something without having to go in a second time.

Lots of things can cause diarrhea, or cause it to continue. Food allergies, even a change in food to a new diet, parasites, viruses, etc. It sounds as if the vet tried to treat at the most basic level, which many do as a first step, but it is not resolving itself.

Diarrhea — Kitten Lady
This information from the Kitten Lady may be helpful
Thank you. I do want to call but they're not open until Wednesday because of the Christmas holidays, and to be honest i don't know that I can afford the £300 + treatment that it would take to go to an emergency vet...

I'm wracking my brains out about anything he could have eaten or been exposed to but we've done a sweep and found nothing. He doesn't go outside yet either as he's not chipped yet so I'm really at a loss.

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out :)