4-year-old Non-purebread Cat Diagnosed W Fip Seems To Be Responding To Antibiotics?

bansheeofthewest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help! Sorry this is super long.

TL;DR: Jack was diagnosed with FIP 2 days ago but seems to be much better after Clavamox doses for 2 days. Less circling and eating voraciously, more curious and active. Could he be getting better/have been misdiagnosed or is it just wishful thinking?

Long version: My dear 4-year-old Jack was a rescue kitten we took in in 2014. On Monday night he began circling weirdly and acting lethargic (and in hindsight, he’d been less playful over the weekend but I thought it was because we had guests and he can get a bit skittish with new people). He never stopped eating but was just kind of nibbling on a few bites over the weekend too, but ge’s often pretty picky. I called the vet first thing Tuesday, and took him in Wednesday AM because they didn’t have anything sooner. He spent all day Tuesday sleeping on my lap and seeming really off-balance. He was clearly having balance issues and after some internet research I thought it could be bilateral vestibular disease (less pronounced/no head tilt?).

On Wednesday at the vet, he was super anxious and they said he’d lost two pounds since a year and a half ago when we last brought him in—I instantly had that stomach-drop, because how could we not have noticed?? But since we hold him every day maybe we just acclimated to it as he lost the weight? I feel awful and like the worst cat mom ever. I am ordering a cat scale today!

They did a lot of blood work and said that almost everything was normal, but some protein was at 8 (or .8? I will have to get the details and upload them, I was pretty distraught) and he probably had FIP. He was basically going to get worse until he died, the vet said. She said he was ‘stargazing’ which he was, but he does get weird and stare-y when he is nervous, and I was nervous too which was not helping.

So she gave us some Clavamox on the off chance it was something else (she said it was definitely neurological), and we went home in complete despair. We just spent the whole day with the ljttle guy and cuddled him. He ate OK the rest of Wednesday and continued to circle and seemed very sleepy.

Wednesday night after 2 doses of Clavamox, morning and night, he ate nearly a whole can of food and asked for more, and drank some too. He got up and moved around a lot more than he had before. Thursday was even sligtly better—he still is sleeping a lot but he’s much steadier on his feet. Last night and today (Friday), even better, with more movement and actively asking for food which he almost never does. He is barely circling anymore. Is it possible he’s getting better and therefore was misdiagnosed??

Am I just seeing what I want to see? I mean I’m not making up the eating more and moving better, my boyfriend sees it too. Is it possible he lost weight unrelatedly and has an ear issue, or some other disease that responds to antibiotics? I am trying not to be too hopeful, but it’s hard when it seemed like he was supposed to die any minute and now is seemingly feeling so much better. I updated the vet but she didn’t really say much.

Sorry this got so long, and thank you if you finished reading! I am so worried and I just want some perspective on this! Thank you all!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So am I reading correctly that the vet just ruled everything else out and then decided it was FIP by default? If so, it could indeed be a misdiagnosis.

If it really is FIP, though, any improvements will be temporary, so I would not get your hopes too high.

Sorry for what you're going through. :(

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty got diagnosed with FIP. Yes, it's possible it's something else, the vet was right to treat him with an antibiotic just in case. But vets don't diagnose FIP lightly, I think you need to prepare yourself for the worst and at the same time hope for the best. I am so sorry, FIP stinks.

Do post the lab results and a photo of Jack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bansheeofthewest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much!! I am just really hoping it was a misdiagnosis—I was reading on the internet (I know this is not always the best idea but I can’t stop) and he doesn’t seem to have a fever (I don’t know if they even took his temp honestly, she didn’t say anything about a fever) or the inappetance. He’s even chasing a toy today. I can’t help but feel hopeful but I know it will be even worse if I let myself feel that way!
I’ll call the vet in a while (I already called yesterday and I want to give them a chance to call me back) and get the exact bloodwork details! Here’s Jack on my lap early this morning.